Wing Size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Pegler:
1st Post on this board, hope you can help.
Wish to replace a Diverite bondage style wing with a Halcyon.
Q - what lift capacity?
There are one or two options.
I dive dry suit with double PST 95s, wgt belt only 4lbs extra.
Is the 40lbs of lift ok, or is the 55lbs better??
Thanks,
dave

From what I know, you need as much lift to float your rig on the surface. My 40 lb Evolve can easily float my backplate, double LP steel Faber 85s with 2 deco bottles on the surface.

At depth, assuming you're not overweighted, you don't need that much air in your wings.

Dave,

You know there are some pp on this board that might take offence with the BWOD reference. Not me though LOL!

Before deciding on what wings, what's your current setup and what are you diving with. Cold, warm, singles, doubles ss Tanks or al?

Generally 30-40 is fine for singles and even doubles. 50+ is for heavy doubles and above.

Oxycheq, Agir or golem are all great alternatives and cheaper than Halcyon unless you are getting one 2nd hand from ebay.

SangP

Edited due to wrong posting

DocWong:
From what I know, you need as much lift to float your rig on the surface. My 40 lb Evolve can easily float my backplate, double LP steel Faber 85s with 2 deco bottles on the surface.

At depth, assuming you're not overweighted, you don't need that much air in your wings.

This assumes that the diver is neutral or buoyant without their gear. Suit cursh (if diving wet) at depth is going to make the diver negative. This also doesn't account for any lights, reels, etc. When I put that 40# wing on in freshwater with the twin 95s, it was darn near FULL at the surface to get me floating, but I didn't have on any neoprene.

As long as the drag isn't too bad, I don't mind having a bit more lift. Today's circular wing shapes help a lot in this regard, but with the old very wide wings, I wouldn't be so quick to just buy the biggest thing out there. But I'd still feel more comfy with a 55-60# life wing for double steels in the more common sizes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom