Wing-style BCs - novice questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to what TSandM posted, I would add the following based on my experience with the Pro QD I once owned:
- The jacket BC tends to keep the diver a bit higher out of the water on the surface (edit: that is when you are vertical on the surface...didn't mean to imply about surface swims).

- The jacket BC is more forgiving of how your weights are distributed on you and how much the BC is inflated in terms of keeping your vertical on the surface.

- With a back inflate BC you'll probably feel less encumbered because there is less "stuff" wrapped around you.

- A robust jacket BC (like the Pro QD) takes up a lot of room when packing it

- If you tend to have floaty feet, then an advantage of a weight harness (like the DUI Weight and Trim) over a weight integrated BC is you have more flexibility for positioning the weights higher or lower on your body to get better trim...got floaty feet?...move the weight pockets lower on you.

Last edited:
The only problem I see is that it is very difficult to roll on your back on the surface and paddle. Other than that your bouyancy will get better.

May I rephrase that a little to, "it is slightly more difficult to roll on your back, but only in the beginning."

Other than that, only thing to add is that you will need so much less weight! I was able to shave off 10 pounds when i made the transition. To me, that alone is worth it.

Everybody I know surface swims on their back in BP/W setups. It's not an issue.

I have also been considering a BP/W setup. Can someone tell me a bit more about the crotch strap? I know some tech divers advocate wearing the crotch strap over the weight belt since loss of the weight belt can be a major problem if you have hours of deco to do. But for most rec divers I presume the crotch strap would be worn under the weight belt to allow the weights to be ditched in an emergency?

Assuming you are wearing the crotch strap under the belt I am wondering how you do this when gearing up. Do you put the weight belt on last (a difficult process especially on a rocking boat). or do you put the belt on first, then thread the crotch strap somehow down under the belt?

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom