Winter Diving in Ontario?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spage

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, this may be a really stupid question but here goes:
I'm from victoria, BC and just got my open water. I have family in Toronto and am going to see them in December and was wondering if anyone goes diving in Ontario in the winter? I know out here its an all year 'round sport, but it gets alot colder in ontario than it does in BC.

There is Innerkip, just over an hour west of Toronto. They do have ice diving there in the winter. Doubt there will be much ice there in December. Although with the summer we're having, probably be iced over next month anyway.

Do most people dive in dry suits in the winter there? I know here, with the ocean, it is not uncommon for people to dive in drysuits all the time.

Most would have dry duits, although I few ice divers have dove wet. We dive Humber Bay in the winter (Lake Ontario remains open) Temps close to freezing 34 to 36

I dive year round here. If you're in Toronto, Humber Bay as mentioned is the closest to you. However there are lots of other places that likely won't be iced up by then: Lake Simcoe (Barrie Bay Park), Wiarton (Georgian Bay - beautiful clear water), Sherkston Quarry (Niagara region)might still be open.

I have dived with wetsuit divers in December and January, though I dive dry.

Water temps by December would be in 39F to low 40's, depending on the site...Humber Bay and Sherkston likely warmer than Wiarton.

Drop me a pm closer to the date, and maybe we can get in a dive. Another option is to go on Ontario Diving

Thanks! I will for sure. I did my open water in a dry suit so that is an option. Its good to know I will be able to (hopefully) get a dive in while I'm visiting my family.

Welland scuba park is a good option, windmill and sherkston usaly close as soon as the ice hits but here in niagara we dive all year round even tho it mean just diving the scuba park

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom