Winter Hot Spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Where is a good place to dive during the winter time that gives you the best chance of good conditions with the least amount of weather concerns?

Assuming you're asking about the Caribbean....

The later in the "winter" that you delay your trip and the further South in the Caribbean basin that you go~ that's your best shot.

The ABC Islands, in example, and then a line drawn WNW to the Bay Islands and then Belize are pretty good bets.

Assuming you're asking about the Caribbean....

The later in the "winter" that you delay your trip and the further South in the Caribbean basin that you go~ that's your best shot.

The ABC Islands, in example, and then a line drawn WNW to the Bay Islands and then Belize are pretty good bets.

The Caribbean is a good answer, probably because it is the closest to me living in the Northeast. I am just not sure who has the most consistent weather and visibility year round.

Appreciate the answer. Keep'em coming.

I'm counting on Cozumel this winter......

Winter diving with least weather issues - for the Caribbean, like RoatanMan says, Bonaire would be my #1 choice. Places like Belize and cozumel are popular, but they do get rougher seas during that timeframe. Roatan is an option IF you stay on southside of island, away from the wind issues so seas are calmer.

But if you don't mind going to Pacific, I think Palau, Yap, Truk, or Fiji are a great option. Shark mating season in Palau is Dec-Feb.

I'm counting on Cozumel this winter......
It's nice to be optimistic, but realistically - have backup plans for blow out days. Keep your jacket handy too. I got chilled on Roatan one day in February.

Bonaire or Curacao. Bonus is that the water should still be warm. I don't think Bonaire drops much below 78' or so.
According to Bruce Bowker at the Carib Inn :D : Weather

We've been diving Bonaire for years and it's the best. Easy diving for a beginner and lots of more challenging options. Great visibility and reefs and fish stock in great shape.

Back
Top Bottom