With limited space what is most important to travel with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougK

Contributor
Reaction score
Got a question for the board about packing smart for travel.

My wife and like to travel and dive. For us the trip in not totally about diving we sometimes only dive 3-4 days out of 7-9, with the other days devoted to either beach time or sightseeing. At this point we own (2 sets of) mask, snorkel, boots & fins. We have been looking to buy some other gear like BC and reg, however due to the size of our fins/boots this take almost a sperate bag just for diving.

Here is my question: Would it be smarter to travel with reg and maybe BC and rent fins on site to save space in the limited bags the airline allows?

What do you folks that travel a lot find the best use of space?

I take everything but if i had to choose it'd be computer, mask, regs as top priority.

My entire dive gear is about 10kg so i can normally get away with taking it all.

One of my wonderful buddies! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I haven't had a problem yet travelling with my full kit (minus tanks and weights) plus my video camera and housing. It's a pain to carry everything if I'm moving around, but the camera is a necessity.

Dr. Bill

I agree, I prefer to take it all and it all fits in a suitcase along with lights, slates, etc. I do take my reg, computer, mask & log book in my carry on as I want to be sure they are not lost. There is no way I would rent those if I could help it. And, I am pretty attached to my split fins too :wink: I have rented gear when the airlines lost mine on a trip but I much prefer using my own stuff, I know it and I also know how well it is taken care of and when it was last serviced.

String:
I take everything but if i had to choose it'd be computer, mask, regs as top priority.

My entire dive gear is about 10kg so i can normally get away with taking it all.

I'd agree... when I went to cancun recently, I just took my computer, regs, and mask. I did also bring my booties and fins, but that's just because I have big feet and worried they wouldn't have big enough booties/fins.

I carry my regs, mask, snorkel, computer, logbook & fins in a carry on. My BC gets packed in one of my suitcases along with my wetsuit. The ONLY things I rent are weights & tanks.

I take everything, but have my regulator, computer and dive log with me in carry-on. I have this phobia about putting a rental reg in my mouth and catching some nasty disease. Also, my log book has my c-card in it, so I couldn't rent gear unless i had that. Everything else gets packed in a dive bag and bid a fond farewell and a "I hope to see you in (insert dive site here)"

Make sure its all insured when traveling with it and document all the gear via pics and viseo etc

I'm inclined to take everything. If I was really only doing a couple dives and decided bringing gear was a problem, I might consider renting a BC (as it's my bulkiest thing) and fins. Though fins don't really take that much volume, assuming they can lay flat on the bottom or against the sides, and you can stuff things in the foot pockets.

I can fit all my gear and clothes for a 1-2 week dive trip in one checked bag and one carry on. If I would need more clothes than usual, I just might decide to travel heavy and check another bag.

Although taking everything is my first choice, your post indicates that you are looking for what is the alternative.

I will never go without my own reg now. I also take my own computer and mask. Those are the essentials and everything else is negotiable. I can suffer through a few days with rental fins, wetsuits, bcs etc...

Except for the camera stuff :wink:

Back
Top Bottom