Witnesses saw fatal shark attack on diver... (in South Australia)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver257a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Here is an update from two news sources in Adelaide, South Australia as of mid-day, local time on 10 February 2014:

Adelaide man Sam Kellett taken by shark at Goldsmith Beach wouldn’t want animal hunted and killed, friend says
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...lled-friend-says/story-fni6uo1m-1226822030583

Shark attack victim Sam Kellett mourned at Adelaide school after weekend tragedy off Edithburgh
Shark attack victim Sam Kellett mourned at Adelaide school after weekend tragedy off Edithburgh - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Thanks for posting. Though shark attack is rare, gotta feel for the victim of a bad one.

Richard.

All indications are that there has been a drastic increase in the number of white pointers in this region since they became protected. A week prior to the attack a prominent fisherman in the area issued a warning in the news about the big increase in numbers seen and the likelihood of further fatal attacks. Their numbers need to be culled.

All indications are that there has been a drastic increase in the number of white pointers in this region since they became protected. A week prior to the attack a prominent fisherman in the area issued a warning in the news about the big increase in numbers seen and the likelihood of further fatal attacks. Their numbers need to be culled.

I'd argue exactly the opposite.

From the Western Austrailin Dept of Fisheries
Shark safety FAQ

Is there an increase in the number of white sharks (white pointers or great whites) off the Western Australian coastline?

No available data suggests that numbers of white sharks are increasing, either in WA or in other parts of Australia. The reason for the white shark being granted protected status is that this species faced a high risk of extinction in the wild over the medium term.

And while it is sad somebody died, one can ask if spearfishing in water where a lot of shark live is a wise decision. It is in my opinion not the sharks fault, it is what sharks do, eat fish. So when somebody has a wounded or dead fish close to him, mistakes can happen. It is not the sharks that need to be culled, it's the spear fishers.
Even if the numbers increase, why would that be a problem? Imho that is a good development, there are so many sharks killed needlessly every year. The sea is were they live and a sea whitout sharks will die. Sorry foxfish you are so very wrong about this.

Greg Pickering had some interesting comments - Shark attack survivor shares thoughts

I guess having had two painful encounters he has some talking room. At least he refers to the cull as a last possible option. I also noticed the guys family saying they would not want the shark killed.
Yes we have big sharks, but we have breeding stock necessary for the rest of the ocean ecosystem. Not many other countries have that.

The data shows, worldwide, that shark populations are at an all-time low:

https://news.fiu.edu/2013/03/100millionsharks/52935
The Pelagic Shark Research Foundation

We know, scientifically not just anecdotally, that modern fishing practices impact shark populations drastically. Add to that the shark-finning that is going on and you most definitely have an issue. The obvious solution (and one we adopt here on the west coast of the USA) is to tell people not to go in the water when there are white sightings. It's a simple rule that most people with half a brain don't actually need to be told. If a shark that can be 3 times as long as an average human is tall and weigh in at 36+ times as much as the average human and eats whales for breakfast is swimming around you don't get in the water.

What is the shark doing that it needs to be killed? Oh that's right, trying to eat some lunch. Let's make it standard procedure to kill anything that is trying to eat. Sounds like a good policy to me...

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

i would remind all members of the special rules of this forum and that is to analyze the accident in question. This is decidedly NOT the place to be discussing shark culls! For that reason I have deleted MOST of the posts bickering about the ethics or wisdom of doing so. If I had deleted them all, there would be nothing left of the thread and I wanted to leave behind some of the more factual references. However, if the thread continues in that vein, then I will delete the remainder and those subsequent posts as well. I am re opening the thread now but remind you once again of the imperative to remain on topic in this forum and to talk about this particular incident...what little is known about it.

Marg, SB Senior moderator

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom