WKPP Members

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Dinger,

I'd like to respond to your second post.

Dinger:
Evening folks
The reason I asked the question was simply that I wanted to know the answer. I am by no means a 'troll' and simply didn't fill out my profile as for I must have skipped over it without thinking. There is no cloak and dagger stuff relating to this post I simply would like to know the answer to the question. I am interested as myself and my buddy are becoming more and more interested in this system (we have been diving for 11 and 10 years respectively) and feel that we would like to know some more regarding the inner workings of the system - personally I like to balance arguements up and I feel that with the DIR/GUE system there is alot of them and us - something which I feel is alot of ****e.

If I was unfairly casting aspersions then I apologize. Since you admittedly recognize that there is a whole "them and us" thing going on between some individuals from inside and outside the DIR camp, you can surely understand how your original post just looked like it could possibly serve as kindling for another flame war.

Dinger:
This is simply an interest and if some of you feel unable, or have no desire to answer the question that is your perogative. But I feel that some of the replies simply add to the dislike/distrust of a system that could be of benefit to many out there but is preached in a manner that put most off.

For the record, I am not DIR... yet. However, I'm looking into it just as you and your buddy are. I agree that the message of DIR is often overshadowed by a few people who choose to be a bit over zealous as messengers spreading the word about "a system that could be of benefit to many out there". Never-the-less, from my investigation of the system, I see the message itself as a good one.

I have personally had the opportunity to meet some DIR divers face-to-face and have to tell you that they are very nice people. They were able to answer any questions that I've had about the system in a very polite and informative manner. At no point in time did anyone call me a "stroke" and tell me that I was going to die because I've been using a snorkel, a single reg and relying on buddy breathing in an emergency for 25 years. As a result of getting some well reasoned answers (followed up by my own additional research) I've been changing my old views.

Dinger:
I suppose after 10years of diving I feel that I could ask some simple questions
Regards
Dinger

As you now realize, no one knew that you had been diving for 10 years based on your initial post. In addition, at the time of your first post, the info in your profile did not reflect this either.

I hope chickdiver's response (as an actual member of the WKPP) was an acceptable answer to your question in your estimation. I think a more detailed answer in a public forum would be tantamount to the WKPP or their ex-members "airing their dirty laundry" in public. Of course, it's their laundry to do with as they see fit.

Again, welcome to ScubaBoard! I hope your first experience here didn't put you off too much. There is a wealth of knowledge here that we can all learn from. I look forward to the contributions that you will be able to make in the future, so that I can learn from you as well.

Best regards.

Christian

Curt Bowen:
Let me make a suggestion about the WKPP answer.

This question would be better asked on the technical diver forum

www.thedecostop.com

But be warned!!!! Some DIR guys are sometimes difficult to have a straight conversation with.

$500 dollars says I will get blasted on here by a DIR diver, just for that statment alone.

Let me know if you need a current address to forward that $500 to.

How's this for direct?

Like any organization the WKPP finds it necessary to constantly evaluate its membership and add/remove members as necessary. In some cases members retire due to changing personal priorities. In other cases members are removed for not following team protocol or failing to become the type of team player the WKPP needs to meet its objectives. At this level of diving the risk associated with not having team members on the same page is huge and inevitably those team members disrupt the operation of the entire team and put themselves and their fellow team members at risk. The recent changes were a bit of both - personal priorities and teamwork issues.

As for the DIR system, GUE, etc. I would suggest checking alternate boards, available text or website information. DIR and GUE have nothing to do with personnel decisions within the WKPP.

Regards,
Casey McKinlay
Project Director
Woodville Karst Plain Project

cmck1:

How's this for direct?

Like any organization the WKPP finds it necessary to constantly evaluate its membership and add/remove members as necessary. In some cases members retire due to changing personal priorities. In other cases members are removed for not following team protocol or failing to become the type of team player the WKPP needs to meet its objectives. At this level of diving the risk associated with not having team members on the same page is huge and inevitably those team members disrupt the operation of the entire team and put themselves and their fellow team members at risk. The recent changes were a bit of both - personal priorities and teamwork issues.

As for the DIR system, GUE, etc. I would suggest checking alternate boards, available text or website information. DIR and GUE have nothing to do with personnel decisions within the WKPP.

Regards,
Casey McKinlay
Project Director

So Casey, Tell me

Any up-coming WKPP projects? I am always seeking good editorial from true explorers.

cmck1:

How's this for direct?

Regards,
Casey McKinlay
Project Director

Next, What the heck are you doing here on the Scuba Forum?

O and about the $500, I catch enough %$*^ on the deco stop from DIR boys to make up for both the deco stop and scubaboard. But I am shur you have be informed all about it.

Curt Bowen:
Next, What the heck are you doing here on the Scuba Forum?

O and about the $500, I catch enough %$*^ on the deco stop from DIR boys to make up for both the deco stop and scubaboard. But I am shur you have be informed all about it.

Does this mean the great Curt Bowen is shirking on a bet.

You asked. You recieved. :D At least buy the guy lunch.

d33ps1x:
That's the way I read it. He clearly stated "on here" (scubaboard) and then extended it to other boards when it looked like the bet didn't go the way he wanted...

Roak

damn it casey, I was gonna tell everyone to be nice so I could get the $. Geeze!!! Shouldn't you be working or something? <G> bob

Curt Bowen:
So Casey, Tell me

Any up-coming WKPP projects? I am always seeking good editorial from true explorers.

d33ps1x:

You asked. You recieved. :D At least buy the guy lunch.

He will not let me dive with him, I dive sidemount :)

But I will buy him lunch, If I am ever in the area of GIANT cave passage. LOL

Curt Bowen

roakey:
That's the way I read it. He clearly stated "on here" (scubaboard) and then extended it to other boards when it looked like the bet didn't go the way he wanted...

Roak

Hey, there is lunch and a nice dinnier for 2 if you would just slam me as DIR guys (who think they know everything about diving) normally do.

Keep it a secret just between us!

Sh$#, I let the cat out-of-the bag and posted this note. Dam

Please forgive my ignorance, but can someone (prefereably cmck1) tell me who cmck1 is? S/he clearly is in a position of some knowledge on this subject, but I cannot find anything in their profile to indicate such. If this is a breach of protocol I apologize, but I'm guessing the source here has alot to do with how the message is read.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom