Woman size divewear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello to all the other "woman-sized" women out there!
Finally a place to find out what the men at my dive shop
can't tell me. First of all, I received a catalog the other day with some larger sized pieces, but of course I don't have it with me tonight so when I return I will have the name and "800" number for you all. I am what you would call an extra-large woman. Depending on the catalog I can run anywhere between a 22 to 24. For my wet suit-7ml.,please as I live in the Northeast, I had to go with a custom made. It was worth every penny as I am torso-long and leg short, in addition to the extra large size. So, have heart, there are ways to find comfortable gear. Talk to you soon. Judy

Welcome to the site!

I would love to get any info on gear that might fit properly. I think the dive industry is like the cloth industry a few years ago when they didn't acknowledge that the average sized American women is over size 14! --Starfsih P.S. And my BP is fine, cholesterol, etc.

Welcome Judy, This is a great place to ask any question at all. Have you ever seen The Body Shop's poster that that shows how unrealistic the proportions of Barbie are? Sometimes I think that the SCUBA manufacturers are using Barbie as their template. I ordered a custom drysuit last week to take care of my shortness & small feet.

-kate

Hello! I am also new to this forum and glad to find other real women divers who don't look like the dive magazine models. I was directed by a fellow women diver to a custom wetsuit maker called "LiquidFit" and thought I would pass them along to you. I ordered a 7mm full suit and 7mm shorty from them last September and have been totally happy with them. Their site is http://www.liquidfit.com. It is a female owned and operated company.

I have a true hour glass figure and could not find a 7mm suit in any store to accommodate my lower half. Hips must not be something that most wetsuit manufacturers understand. I was also sick of doing that horrible sausage casing stuffing dance to try to get in them.

My custom 7mm not only fits well but keeps me from having to get my husband and two friends to help bounce me into it at the dive site!

Hope this helps!

I am tall and reasonably slim.

Although diving is becoming more of a sport women can be involved in I do think that there is less consideration for a woman.

Me and my dad went out looking to buy new BC's earlier this year and just because of my shape and size I ended up adding another £100 onto the price...and that wasnt even a specially designed on for women.

It does annoy me that we arent considered as much as men. I had to get my wetsuit custom made which is fine except now I have grown more in the ermm...chest region I have to get a new one. Cause my partners a diver as well he wants me to get all the best brands etc....but for me, its harder to get the well known brands that fit!

Its good to see more companies being developed for lady divers such as our selves!!!

Ok, Ok - I was lurking on the Women Only board - but I can offer a suggestion -

Scubababy - I have been looking at various custom wetsuit suppliers for about a month now. Check out Aquaflite http://www.aquaflite.com their prices are reasonable, and they offer a lifetime warranty "...against the breakage of any seam or zipper. And should your body change, we wil retailor your suit at a minimal charge".

From what I have read here, people have been pretty happy with their quality and service. (Do a search for 'aquaflite').

Welcome, to the boards! I'm new here too andI've found these boards a good place to find answers to your questions without alot of hype. Good information from other divers.
I just orded a custom wet suit from Liquidfit (haven't received it yet) and I was very impressed with their willingness to make sure the measurements taken were accurate and their concern that I would be happy with the finished product. I'll let you know how the wetsuit is when it comes in.

~lildiver

But if you know about Essex girls from the UK you'd know I was one of them.

Anyway, where would I be able to get a Mares Custom fit wetsuit??? Preferably just a shortie.....3/5mm.

Had to laugh when I read this thread.....I did my certification dive in late November in a supposedly 'warm' hotsprings pool....that wasn't so bad, but we were out in the middle of nowhere, Wendover, NV. The outside temp started out at 6 degrees and then warmed up to 13 degrees! but the worst was there was no where to change but behind the car door! And we had to walk on a narrow, icy wooden board walk out to the water, about 1/8 mile, with full gear! I fantacize about warm, sunny white beaches and turqoise water! But, back to women's size considerations....for this dive we were provided with gear....well I tried mine on at the shop - a two-piece farmer john with an over shortie-type thing....after sqeezing into it,and actually getting the zippers up, it was a large, I COULD NOT BREATHE!!! So I came out and asked if they had a Dolly Parton model...everyone died laughing, except my hubby....he gave me this look.......oh the memories!!!!

earlybird

Essex girls.... ooh Abbie... are you sure you want to let these guys in on that? (Just joshin' ya, babe! :p )

I've heard a lot of good things about Liquidfit and have corresponded with Christine - they seem very helpful and the suits look great on the website. Only problem for me is getting one sent over to Thailand from the US.

I have found a place in Bangkok called Decathlon, which I believe is an American or Australian outlet?? The suits are made locally which is a dream as far as price is concerned and I recently bought a 2mm shortie (yes, it is warm and tropical all year round here!) which fits me perfectly. It cost me around US$ 20! I couldn't ask for a better deal.

My point is that if Decathlon has outlets in the US (I know they have them in the UK) and the suits are all made in Thailand, you should be able to find one that will fit you.

Good luck, ladies.
:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom