Woman Traveling Alone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RooLuvsToDive

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if any of us women divers have gone to dive locales, whether they be Florida or the Caribbean or Mexico, ALONE on a trip? :auto: I have finally come to the realization that if I want to go somewhere I'll be going alone, especially if it is somewhere to dive. I'm just wondering if many people do this and if so, did you feel safe and did you have any trouble finding a dive buddy once you got there?

.. that I have stuck my nose in the woman only b forum =]

I dive in Key Largo every weekend and frequently run into female divers that came down by themselves to dive. So it is commom.

I've met some of the best dive buddies by either leading a group or joining a group of divers without knowing anyone. It's safe.

All the experiences were good except once. I was paired up with a very inexperienced diver (and I just got my c-card so I was also inexperienced). He never dove in cold water (we were in Massachusetts) so he was nervous, distracted, didn't have the right type of hood, and had trouble with understanding his equipment. He was super nice though. Anyway, we lost eachother immediately. I surfaced and he disappeared. I knew he was with other people, thinking one of them was me. I found another pair to dive with and we had a blast. After that first dive, my lost "buddy" barfed during the rest of the trip. I joined that same pair of divers for the second dive and made nice friends who I still keep in touch and dive with occassionally. I felt bad for the barfer though.

Anything can happen but as far as safety goes it should be okay. Just make decisions that you are comfortable with.

We can't deny that there are safety and logistical matters to consider when travelling alone but overall, I can't think of a better way to go.

A bit of research ahead of time and a load of common sense normally makes for a good and safe holiday. In my experience at dive spots, I've managed to get paired off or allocated into groups with very little problem. Besides, you meet many people on dive trips.

My rules for successful travel:

Only use reputable accommodation

Only use reputable dive operators (search on web, dive publications, word-of-mouth etc)

Follow basic safety precautions

Abide by safety advice for the specific area

I met a couple down in Florida (Knew they were going to be staying at a hotel close by) this past February and dove with them. Had a wonderful time.

No worries about who is having a good time and who isn't. Should we go here or should we go there. If I wasn't hanging out with the couple I was doing my own thing.

It is nice having a companion, but you can meet some interesting and fun people travelling alone.

I'd do it again and probably will in 2003 a few times, as most of my friends do not dive.

Safety Note: I never let anyone know I was travelling alone.

the trips that your LDS is running. I know the shop I use to dive with had several regular female customers that traveled alone on their scheduled trips. Alot of shops even have trip parties beforehand for everyone to get acquainted.

You might also contact the PADI Travel Network too. They can drop you into group trips they've organized for different shops around the country. This would open up your choices too.

I got certified while backpacking alone around Australia & New Zealand so practically every page of my first log book has been signed by a different buddy. I think that what made it easy was that because I was new to diving, I was overzealously and shamelessly going over pre-dive buddy checks (learned alot of ways to remember BWRAF!!) and comparing hand signals. Even if my buddy didn't speak English very well, we could still establish what signal was what. I also got teamed up with the DMs frequently (they always point out the cool stuff and are the last ones up, so who can complain?). The only dives I was vaguely unhappy with was when I was buddied with couples who seemed to forget about me. Take that as the last option. But you'll still have a fabulous time and meet great people. You're also guaranteed to have drinking buddies once you get off the boat.:mean:

I agree with Louie... In fact, IMHO, diving holidays are more fun as a lone traveller than a regular vacation, because you are joining groups of like-minded people and can easily socialize during and after diving. I've been to several resorts in Asia with friends and went solo last Feb to charming Scuba Club in Cozumel. Going to Roatan (Fantasy Island resort) next week solo!

When going solo I'd recommend staying at a dive resort vs sign up at a dive shop, because it creates the intimacy of summer camp: you will be diving, eating and relaxing with the same folks everyday. Depending on my mood I just asked if I could join a table, or, if I wanted to read, then I sat at my own table.

Dive resorts usually assign you to the same boat all week. As for buddies, I usually talk to the DM so they can assign me a decent dive buddy who is appropriate for me (If I am nervous I ask to dive with the DM.) I'll try to find someone who breathes the same amount of time as me to max my BT, and/or likes to look at the same stuff.

The resort people all know you are alone but they're usually really nice to me. I will make an effort to remember all their names, chat etc, but won't flirt too much --- sometimes men in other countries have misconceptions about "loose" American women based on what they see on TV.

So, go explore and have fun! :mean:

I have only been diving for 12 months and have been lucky enough to have logged 60 dives so far. Since I do not have a dive buddy i have no choice but to go alone and i have never had a problem. I have recently come back from red sea and it was the best holiday i have ever had. I knew just one person at the start of the trip but after a week we were sharing e-mails, txts etc. Part of the attraction for me is that no matter what background you all come from you always have something to talk about and share. I had a freind who offered to come with me but I know that if he did I would have spent a lot of the week trying to include him and therfor not joining in socially with the rest. I love it!

The first two years I was a diver I was single and didn't have a buddy. I paid divemasters to be my buddy. I never was paired with anyone I didn't know. True I didn't know the divemaster personally, but I knew he or she was a divemaster with the operation, and I felt better about using them as a buddy. In the BVI's I had an instructor as a buddy because that's what they have working the boat, instead of divemasters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom