Women and Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverChix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
PLEASE - Don't get mad at me if you don't like hunting for fish. I enjoy photography and I do my utmost to keep the ocean as untouched as possible. In fact, for my business I only offer organic clothing options because I think we all need to do our best to keep our oceans beautiful. Having said that...

I used to freedive, a lot when I was younger. Recently, I have decided to give spearfishing a try. I see all the waste in the supermarkets, and would rather get fresh fish (yes, one fish at a time).

I am a bit nervous about it though, and I wondered how many of you ladies out there have either tried it and loved it or tried it an hated it. I am going to try spearfishing with tanks first to see if I can even get the hang of it, then move onto freediving. What do you all think?

My instructor for OW was a gal who was a spearo. She was great at it and loved it. Ran into her last week - she had been out of the water for weeks and was going on a charter (i.e. no spearfishing allowed) and she was bummed out about the fact that she couldn't spear dinner.

A friend of mine used to spear, but he said his wife actually put him to shame cause she was that good. Actually she'd shoot enough for the both of them. He was happy letting her get the fish so long as he got to take part in the eating.

A couple I dive with every month or so have been diving and spearfishing together for 20 years. They work as a good efficient team and enjoy every minute of it.

Sorry for posting in the women's forum. Oops. Just posting about some of the people that I know as an FYI.

Last edited:
I've done some spearfishing and lobstering. It was something that I was curious about
but wasn't sure I could actually kill something - but I did and after the first fish it got
easier. That first fish and lobster were the best I had ever tasted. It doesn't get any
fresher. I never took more than I could eat in a weekend - that is just me - but it's
not the same once it's been frozen and I just don't believe in taking more than I really
need. I've seen alot of people get carried away - alot of laws broken and that is
something that just isn't acceptable, but it seems you have a really good attitude
about it and a girl has got to eat - so go for it. I don't hunt anymore but it was more
fun than I thought it would be and something I had to experience for myself.

I've done some spearfishing and lobstering. It was something that I was curious about
but wasn't sure I could actually kill something - but I did and after the first fish it got
easier. That first fish and lobster were the best I had ever tasted. It doesn't get any
fresher. I never took more than I could eat in a weekend - that is just me - but it's
not the same once it's been frozen and I just don't believe in taking more than I really
need. I've seen alot of people get carried away - alot of laws broken and that is
something that just isn't acceptable, but it seems you have a really good attitude
about it and a girl has got to eat - so go for it. I don't hunt anymore but it was more
fun than I thought it would be and something I had to experience for myself.
I totally agree, I've seen people abuse taking fish as well. Fortunately, I only hang with people who have respect for the ocean and all it supplies for us.

Thank you for the feedback. For some reason grabbing lobster doesn't bother me, but I am wondering how I will feel shooting a fish. I do enjoy eating fresh fish, so I hope I can hang!

Did you clean the fish yourself or get some help?

Don't bother with taking a spear gun to Still Water Cove. There are very few fish available. We have been out to where it dropped to over a hundred feet and didn't see very many fish. There are other dive sites with more fish. Blues are a common fish and pretty prolific.

I do not hunt fish but have no problems with someone who does so respectively.

Edit: Doh! Didn't realize I was in a womans forum...dang I hate it when I get caught peeping in places I shouldn't be :wink:

Spear fishing is OK as long as the fisher is catching a meal, when they go wild and spear everything that they can see thats where the trouble starts! I do not service spear fishers in my shop as many want to come from Davao to fish in Sarangani bay because they have cleared all big fish from the Davao waters! Such a shame really!
If you spear then do it wisely, not wastefully!

Did you clean the fish yourself or get some help?

My now ex-husband is a hunter and he would clean my fish for me,
but the marina that the dive boat would leave out of had a fish
cleaning station and they would clean them for a small fee.
I've tried but I wasn't very good at it.

My now ex-husband is a hunter and he would clean my fish for me,
but the marina that the dive boat would leave out of had a fish
cleaning station and they would clean them for a small fee.
I've tried but I wasn't very good at it.
So, it's all about sweet-talkin' someone into it I guess. Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Don't bother with taking a spear gun to Still Water Cove. There are very few fish available. We have been out to where it dropped to over a hundred feet and didn't see very many fish. There are other dive sites with more fish. Blues are a common fish and pretty prolific.

I do not hunt fish but have no problems with someone who does so respectively.

Edit: Doh! Didn't realize I was in a womans forum...dang I hate it when I get caught peeping in places I shouldn't be :wink:
I would probably go outside of Gerstle Cove where it is legal to take fish. There are rumors of nice fish out that direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom