Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you miffed because Woody isn’t being transparent about his credit history? That isn’t anyone’s business any has nothing to do with the emergency.

No matter how open DT is about this accident, there are going to be critics that complain they don’t have enough details or the details need to be filled in by reading between the lines. It’s not a trial and they don’t need to be convicted of anything.
I am not miffed about anything.
I am only stating that judging what works and what didn't without knowing what was going wrong with the other cards and what exactly has been different with Amex that makes them so great does not have a lot of merit.
If someone wants to make their choice of cards based on such poor information.. go for it.. Probably similar folks that would not bother to figure out where a chamber was before going diving.
Probably best then to also use the Woodie referral link..

reading comprehension
Still have no idea what your point is?

Based on personal experience, I disagreed with a post that stated it was hard to charge $10k plus on a single charge.

You then suggested my banks do not have a fraud department which I then detailed they absolutely do and are quite proactive on contacting suspicious charges and have replaced cards due to fraud.

You then said it’s not the large charges they that flag and I indicated I’ve had no issues with large or small - If they suspect fraud, they contact me to confirm, regardless of amount.

I’ve used cards all over the world (even remote places) and not had any issues in many years. You used to have it inform the card companies when traveling but no longer have to do that. My experience with my cards these days is that the fraud prevention is quite proactive/effective and I have not been denied in many years for valid charges that I’ve made.

Good GRIEF..... 26 Pages and the focus is on how to pay for emergency treatment rather how to receive expedited and effectual treatment! If the dollar is the determinant factor in getting the correct and effectual treatment for DCI, we are screwed.

Folks....what is more important; your stash of bucks and credit line or being permanently disabled or dying? First identify who, where and how your DCI will be treated.

Weakest link is if we do not have a trustworthy, timely and correct treatment means of our DCI....not a quest for the imagined security of a "Don't Leave Home Without It" card.

If today's [or yesterdays?] DAN can't quickly get an injured diver to the best available treatment team and a real diver treatment chamber, not just a burn/gangrene oxygen chamber, then what card or credit line you have is a moot point. DAN: trust them and others with verification. Will their protocols and red tape, delay or stop your treatment? Can we count on them and expect them to expedite and establish the best treatment available? Wish it were true, but other than yourself when you have a DCI nobody has a more vested interest in getting you the correct and rapid treatment than you do. Again, like Dumbo's Feather, wishing will not make it true. DAN is not our caretaker but only a corporation that we trust for honest information and assistance in an emergency. The salient question should be: Can we trust them with our lives in an emergency? Are their procedures and protocols rapid enough and effectual enough; especially when time is critical? Yes, I have DAN membership and insurance; but like many have never scrutinize what services I can count on them for in an emergency. My Bad.

I am in the midst of trying to identify where and who are the qualified Diving Medical Officers/Physicians in the locales that I dive who can examine me or consult with a competent examining doctor conversant with diving medicine to green light me for correct chamber treatment. This includes review of air transport options. Add to that I personally want the locations of 6ATA chambers [see USN Treatment Tables 6A and 4] and not be shunted to a mono 3ATA chamber. Again, just for me, while a mono chamber or a 3ATA chamber operated by a "hyperbaric physician" or even by Diving Medicine Physician may be "enough" it also may not be and I want the best treatment options not the "good enough" ones. Abating symptoms is not the same as preventing permanent damage.

I suspect in todays medical services environment I am engaged in a Fool's Errand; but for me there are no shortcuts to excellence, especially if my welfare is on the line.

Phil

Good GRIEF.....
First identify who, where and how your DCI will be treated.
This is exactly the point though..
and I just cam across this litlle Gem here:

Listen to them how much they impose on the screw up and for folks to do it right and the potential implications on the fellow divers..

Maybe time that they dring their own cool-aid..
With knowing about their incident and then listen to this almost becomes a pure parody..
Can't count how many times I had to laugh about those comments coming from them

Absolutely preaching water and drinking wine here

I am not miffed about anything.
I am only stating that judging what works and what didn't without knowing what was going wrong with the other cards and what exactly has been different with Amex that makes them so great does not have a lot of merit.
If someone wants to make their choice of cards based on such poor information.. go for it.. Probably similar folks that would not bother to figure out where a chamber was before going diving.
Probably best then to also use the Woodie referral link..
The premise that they are not giving enough information about why one card worked and another didn't is just getting unnecessarily intrusive. It might be all the hookers and coke they bought or it might be his business is tanking and he has been running it off his credit card. Either way it is none of our business.

Listen to them how much they impose on the screw up and for folks to do it right and the potential implications on the fellow divers..

With knowing about their incident and then listen to this almost becomes a pure parody..

Did you have to post this in both threads? Can we keep this one on topic of the incident itself?

Did you have to post this in both threads? Can we keep this one on topic of the incident itself?
Check the other thread and read carefully then you might notice that I stated I had also (btw initially) here, but think the discussion is better in the other thread.
Similar as to the other posts it does relate to the incident though!

What actually could be transfered is the whole credit card discussion in my opinion

I am confused, What specifically are they saying or doing that is bothering you? They are cave divers and saying don't cave dive without training. This is bad for the general diving community to see? How does this relate to their DCS hit? They aren't ranting and raving.

Should these two guys have made this video and put it up and never get called out on it? What comments would you post on this persons wall after viewing this video? How diplomatic would you be and are you better qualified than these two to leave a critique.

If You have a specific complaint about something they said, leave give us the time stamp and what you thought was wrong with their comment. I would honestly like to know.

The premise that they are not giving enough information about why one card worked and another didn't is just getting unnecessarily intrusive. It might be all the hookers and coke they bought or it might be his business is tanking and he has been running it off his credit card. Either way it is none of our business.
You don't seem to get the point. I agree the other stuff is none of our business.
I only explained to the folks that go:
"Oh wow now I will get an Mex for sure and amex is the holy grail" due to Woody's expereince
That there is plenty we do not know and all of the card companies might have just perfomed as they were actually expected if there was a dilligent card user..
The lack of preparation being the core topic still

I am confused, What specifically are they saying or doing that is bothering you? They are cave divers and saying don't cave dive without training. This is bad for the general diving community to see? How does this relate to their DCS hit? They aren't ranting and raving.

Should these two guys have made this video and put it up and never get called out on it? What comments would you post on this persons wall after viewing this video? How diplomatic would you be and are you better qualified than these two to leave a critique.

If You have a specific complaint about something they said, leave give us the time stamp and what you thought was wrong with their comment. I would honestly like to know.
Ok let me be more specific.
In that Video they point out the wrongdoings of the divers that were shown in the video.
They also complain and explain they are pointing them out because their behaviour might have influence to the cave diving community as a whole (as in might cause closing the cave for divers for good).

Yet at the Abaco incident they are out of compliance of very simple standard protocols as they have been in the past. Overall they seem to continuously show a lack of preparation and a lack of following the proper protocols.
I made the arguiment that they have a responsibility towards the comunity and received rtesponses that this was BS..
Wll they make the exact same argument in their video themselves.
So the behaviour executing their own dives vs what they preach in their video about other diverts is hipocratic at least..

Back
Top Bottom