Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving near Nassau, conditions good. Experienced technical diver. Age late 50's. dive 1, 27' 64 minutes, 32% Nitrox. Boat elected for reverse profile to deeper dive site for second dive. Air dive planned to 130'. Basically a bounce to 130 to get best look at debris cone. Conservative ascent profile with extended deep and safety stops. 2 Suunto and 1 Scubapro computers worn all set to most conservative setting. No deco dive. Onset of symptoms 15 minutes after end of dive. Supplemental oxygen started 30 minutes post dive, helping moderately with pain but not my other symptoms. I do not wish to detail my symptoms other than they were serious type II, and I remained awake. I was in the ER about 3 hours post dive. I started a TT6 treatment about 10 hours post dive with some improvement during the first hour of recompression, but had no further recovery of symptoms with repeated hyperbaric treatment.
I feel that all the holes lined up in the Swiss Cheese of risk. Even though I did not feel this dive was dissimilar to many other dives I had done with ease. But I was pushing 60 and I was starting know that I was getting past my physical peak. Some GI distress had caused me to not stay as hydrated as I usually do when diving. Trying to evaluate with my best attempt at insight.

Any update from DiveTalk anywhere yet?!? As an ageing cave diver who travels frequently and has DAN insurance, would be interested to know any details.
Thanks, in advance,

DT.JPG

What, specifically are you looking for updates on? IIRC, DAN responded almost immediately with their corrective action plan and it's still posted to their blog page for accountability, all associated internet click baiting shenanigans, self aggrandizement, and chest thumping aside.

Any update from DiveTalk anywhere yet?!? As an ageing cave diver who travels frequently and has DAN insurance, would be interested to know any details.
Thanks, in advance,

View attachment 831185
No. It's been a month now, I guess we have to wait and see.
What, specifically are you looking for updates on? IIRC, DAN responded almost immediately with their corrective action plan and it's still posted to their blog page for accountability, all associated internet click baiting shenanigans, self aggrandizement, and chest thumping aside.
I'm more interested to hear DAN's side of story in this particular case. I do feel that we are not being told whole story from DT's point of view.

No. It's been a month now, I guess we have to wait and see.

I'm more interested to hear DAN's side of story in this particular case. I do feel that we are not being told whole story from DT's point of view.
DAN has said their piece (a member wasn't happy with their service and here are the steps we're taking) and really has nothing to gain by saying more, even if it does turn out to tell a different story as some suggest.

Dive Talk/Gus & Woody also promised a follow-up, independent of direct statements coming from DAN. Their follow-up is way overdue. Now it looks less like a follow-up & more like a cover-up. And I say this as someone who’s watched many of their videos and enjoyed them.

Genuinely curious what anyone is expecting DT to actually say, not to mention there be rebreathers to sell now, so....

Well, for starters, they did not say that the doctor they had on site refused to talk to DAN.
Things like that are kind of important in cases like this.
I have a feeling there are few other important bits that have been left out.

Well, for starters, they did not say that the doctor they had on site refused to talk to DAN.
Things like that are kind of important in cases like this.
I have a feeling there are few other important bits that have been left out.
So, is your expectation for DT to come out and say that they may have exaggerated or sensationalized an incident (either by omission or misinformation)? And if so, what do they and any of us really gain by having that information? It's still anecdotal.

If your goal is to understand "what really happened" to be able to apply learnings to future decisions (insurance or dive related), I'd say the DAN response has all the information you need (especially if you read between the lines) to make an informed decision. DAN has the transcripts and would be insanely inept to say anything in their statement that could easily be disproven by internet "celebrities".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom