Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They have the transcripts from DAN, but DAN has had difficulty getting the transcripts of the calls from their travel company. Once DAN and Dive Talk have those in hand, they plan a follow up video. The very good news is that DAN has been very receptive and is making changes to make diving even safer.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned the follow up in one of their recent videos. It's coming but not yet ready.

I’m guessing this might be that video. It’s cued to start just before they mention the follow-up episode:

The very good news is that DAN has been very receptive and is making changes to make diving even safer.
How so?

DAN did publish something about planned changes (even prior to Woody's incident). The incident showed DAN that they needed to move faster on implementing those changes.

I still have nothing from DAN after renewing my membership last Fall....is Alert Diver still published in paper format? Definitely in my mind an erosion of trust in them after an accident...what "changes" have they made, specifically and where, when will these changes be sent out to members?

Another adjunct to all this "who will support and assist an injured diver"; does Medicare pay for treatment of diving accidents?

Another adjunct to all this "who will support and assist an injured diver"; does Medicare pay for treatment of diving accidents?

HBOT is not usually considered in-patient so not applicable to Part A. Medically necessary HBOT would be covered under Part B but the 20% co-pay could be significant without medigap or a suitable advantage plan. And that assumes the chamber itself is in-network. DAN as co-insurance would cover the 20% or non-network charges. Nobody in the Bahamas takes medicare of course and the entire country is all out of network.

Your biggest problem (as the DT bumbles discovered) more often than not is finding a facility to even take a diver.

I still have nothing from DAN after renewing my membership last Fall....is Alert Diver still published in paper format? Definitely in my mind an erosion of trust in them after an accident...what "changes" have they made, specifically and where, when will these changes be sent out to members?

This has all been covered. DAN's response and their immediate and long term SOP changes were released publicly here: Abaco Cave Diver Evacuation

"Erosion of trust" is a bit of a stretch. A member did not think they got the level of service they were entitled to, DAN investigated found areas of improvement and committed to improving them transparently.

This has all been covered. DAN's response and their immediate and long term SOP changes were released publicly here: Abaco Cave Diver Evacuation

"Erosion of trust" is a bit of a stretch. A member did not think they got the level of service they were entitled to, DAN investigated found areas of improvement and committed to improving them transparently.
'Erosion of trust' as DAN enunciates in their review of remedial actions to assist injured divers: "We understand that an incident like this can affect members’ confidence in DAN’s ability to help them if they have a diving accident." If DAN's changes to protocols are not just hyperbole then hoorah. Like who, where are 'DAN Medics' referred to in revisions and hyperbaric treatment chambers [I am a broken record, but 6ATA chambers; not just gas gangrene-burn chambers]; this information should be available to all DAN members. I can not find it for my area [NE Oregon]; if such a list exist I would appreciate someone sending it in a PM to me. Goes without saying that such a listing must be frequently updated and have backups in place.

I have always espoused the each diver should have in place a functional emergency treatment plan prior to each dive. Throwing up a hail-Mary call to DAN does not in my mind qualify as such an emergency contingency plan. Who nearest to the dive location is a qualified DAN or dive medic; what/where is the most expedient available transportation to the correct hyperbaric chamber for treatment. Hey, it is our lives and well being on the line and nobody has a more vested interest in these answers than the injured diver.

Assumption of risk? Certainly, but detailed mitigation of those risk are ultimately the responsibility of the diver assuming those risks. Do each of us know how, when and where those mitigation treatments will be provided? Is one call to DAN all that is needed? Trust with verification is not just an incantation but a necessity. At least for me.

HBOT is not usually considered in-patient so not applicable to Part A. Medically necessary HBOT would be covered under Part B but the 20% co-pay could be significant without medigap or a suitable advantage plan. And that assumes the chamber itself is in-network. DAN as co-insurance would cover the 20% or non-network charges. Nobody in the Bahamas takes medicare of course and the entire country is all out of network.

Your biggest problem (as the DT bumbles discovered) more often than not is finding a facility to even take a diver.
Thanks for the break down....BUT is not hyperbaric treatment of a diving accident an in-patient event and not like other medical use of hyperbaric treatment usually on an out-patient basis? 'Not usually considered'; I understand, always at the decision of government.

Also co-pay if required of 20% denotes that 80% was covered. Not insignificant having perhaps 80% coverage.

We old farts look for Medicare help.

Thanks for the break down....BUT is not hyperbaric treatment of a diving accident an in-patient event and not like other medical use of hyperbaric treatment usually on an out-patient basis? 'Not usually considered'; I understand, always at the decision of government.

Also co-pay if required of 20% denotes that 80% was covered. Not insignificant having perhaps 80% coverage.

We old farts look for Medicare help.
You won't typically be "admitted" to go for a chamber ride. By itself it's out-patient care. Can't pee, can't walk, need a catheter and your heart rhythm is unstable? Then you'll likely be admitted for those conditions/care. It's not up to medicare if you are admitted or not, it's based on your level of acuity and symptoms. Heck hip and knee replacements are outpatient nowadays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom