Woody's Diopter Test Shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcolman

Contributor
Reaction score
I just shot a sequence of test images with a 35mm macro on an e-330, with and without the diopter, through the Ikelite flat port, at a resolution grid.

I will post images shortly, but, here are some quick conclusions:

* no free lunch ... you get what you pay for (US $60 or so)

* significant color fringing everywhere except at the center

* loss of sharpness and resolution

I am going to play with Photoshop CS3 to see if I can reduce some of the chromatic abberation through raw processing.

Rick Colman

No, did not do them underwater because it is hard to get my test page down there. However, I don't think it would make any difference in the results. I will post shortly, and it should be obvious.

Whether the quality loss is worth the increase in magnification is a judgement call.

rcolman:
No, did not do them underwater because it is hard to get my test page down there. However, I don't think it would make any difference in the results.
It will make a difference, the refractive index of water is much much higher than that of air. As a result, underwater the magnification of the Woody dioptre is less and the results you're getting in air will not be anything like you're going to get underwater. I've been using a Woody's dioptre for a couple of years now and won't go underwater without it. I occasionally get some CA in some shots but this is easily removed using filters such as this:

http://flofilters.free.fr/

NOT for me. I have a limited budget, limited time, and somewhat limited capabilities.

So, I may choose to accept a lower level of quality because the item is relatively inexpensive (US$ 60 for the diopter vs. $450 for a Sigma 105 macro)

-or -

maybe I want to flexibility of a wet diopter over a shorter lens, giving me more options on a dive.

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not saying anything particularly negative about the web diopter, it is what it is ...

Best fishes,

Rick.

rcolman:
So, I may choose to accept a lower level of quality because the item is relatively inexpensive (US$ 60 for the diopter vs. $450 for a Sigma 105 macro)

-or -

maybe I want to flexibility of a wet diopter over a shorter lens, giving me more options on a dive.

Ahh...I see the first sentence as two totally different things. That makes sense.

And the flexibility of a Woody (insert other wet mate option here) is excellent :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom