Work Bites!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeekDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well today at my Job has been tough today. I had to say goodby to several longtime friends and co-workers. With the economy and everything else my company had a layoff here in my area. From what I can tell we lost over 50 people. I still have my Job but it's not very comforting to see so many that I have worked with over the years go home. At least the weather was good today. It's also sad to know those same people were replaced by people in India or Canada. It's not like I don't like or care for people in other countries but when It's an American Co. you would think that the people working for it should be American.

Geek

Yep, I'm thankful, if it wern't for my Job it would put a big dent in my future diving. I'm a bit higher in the food chain so even if they outsource it will be a while before I'll be impacted. Good thing I bought my gear and don't need to rent so all I need is gas money and air fills. We're s'posed to have more tomarrow. If this keeps up I'll have to either move to India or Get a new line of work. Everyone is outsourcing there IT staffing more and more these days. I quit my last 2 Jobs because they directly related to Mfg and the labor and parts were rapidly moving offshore. Wonder if my LDS needs a good admin

Geek

Geekdiver, we need to organize!! I know a bunch of people up here in the Great White North who have lost their jobs to Americans in the last bit (supposedly because we didnt support the war.....dont want to start on that one). I think we should freeze all jobs, and work like professional sports teams....trade jobs, and co-operate on expansions. The people who get screwed do so over and over....theyre always the low man on the totem pole. Sorry to hear about your friends....good luck to em.

I am a CPA and my industry has the following:

A tax return prepared here in the US for say $750 US can be prepared in India for $50 to $70 US plus Fed Ex charges.

The difference is all profit!

If the IT technology gets to where these can be e-mailed (security issues) then alot of accounting services will leave the US.

Remember that the American company is choosing to divert work where it best supports their goals. It could be due to maketing centers (Big disadvantage to sell US products in Europe unless you "appear" to be European). Economically, as the economy slows in America, inflation also slows and the US$ looses value (global value). The country getting the new work faces inflation and an increase in their currancy value. Eventually the trend slows and reverses. It's all economics and there are good and bad trade-offs of being on both sides.

I am an American working for an American company at a Canadian office. They do this to stay competative in world markets and as a marketing base for Asian clients. I can tell you that the Tech industry in Vancouver has lost about 25% of their workforce. I have laid off over 100 in the past year. It's tough all over!! I know that my frinds back in the states make considerably more than the guys up here for the same work. The guys up here really struggle to make ends meet, while the guys back home are quite well off. I know that without the guys here, the guys back home are in trouble because we would not be able to keep a competative margin against other companies. The Canadian media a few years back published story after story of Canadian firms re-locating to the USA for tax purposes, creating many jobs in the US. So, trends will come around again and again.

I feel bad for your friends who lost their jobs and I hope that you don't have to face that again. But, by the end of this month I will have to lay-off 40 more. All of them are excellent employees and some are very good friends....

Jimi

Back
Top Bottom