Working as a DM in Austraila/New Zealand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haiko

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I'm Haiko from Holland. I have my Open water certificate and planning to go as far as Divemaster next year when staying in New Zealand for a year. I did some dives, in Australia (where I did the Open water course) and Indonesia (bali). That was about 5 years ago.

When I reach the level of Divemaster I would like to get a job at a diveschool or operator in New Zealand or Australia. I know it would be hard (ecspecially for a foreigner), because there are many (locals) with the same job-ideas. One benefit thou, is that I know more than just one language. I can speak and read Dutch, German and English. So that can come handy, tourists like to speak in their own language (even when on holidays ).

Is there maybe someone who can help me with some info about how a foreigner (Dutch) can get a job in the divingindustry in a foreign country, like Australia of New Zealand? When I'n in NZ, I can work for one year, because I'll have a working-permit.

Okay, that's all for now. Cheers, Haiko

Can somebode maybe recommend some diveschools in New Zealand, where I might get my DM? Cheers in advance!

Hi haiko,

There are many people in Australia who want to work in the dive industry and that makes it very competitive to get a job. Also, because of this competition DM's are generally paid very poorly and don't see much diving, usually there restricted to hauling tanks, looking after the shop or staying up top on the boat.
However, if your coming over for a holiday and just want the experience then your languages are an advantage.

I've no idea about New Zealand sorry

good luck

Ash

What is your definition about "poor wages"? It alle depends what a person is used to earn for a living. Is that about AU$ 2000 or less (or more?) Just curious...
Greetz, Haiko

HAiko:
Can somebode maybe recommend some diveschools in New Zealand, where I might get my DM? Cheers in advance!
As mentioned before Haiko contact Dive Tutukaka the owner is Dutch, their DMs seem
to get to dive the Poor Knights alot.

I'm a Kiwi considering chucking in my career and doing the dive thing as well, before returning to Aus/NZ. Where's the best place to find work, and is there a good chance if you are a DI?

Skim:
I'm a Kiwi considering chucking in my career and doing the dive thing as well, before returning to Aus/NZ. Where's the best place to find work, and is there a good chance if you are a DI?
As I mentioned previously to Haiko, Dive Tutukaka have probably the biggest charter
boat fleet in NZ and make daily trips to the Poor Knights Islands, otherwise Auckland
has most dive shops and divers.

I know a few places here don't actually pay their DMs. You get free diving and use of boats, but thats it. If you plan on doing your DM course in Aus though, then you'll generally have a better chance of staying on with the operator that taught you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom