Worried

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Until just recently, I felt exactly as you describe. In my last 10 or so dives I think I have finally begun the transition to the "don't worry too much and have fun" philosphy held by most of my diving friends. I'm not going to tell not to worry, because I think my recognition of the dangers associated with scuba has motivated me to dive often, within my limits (preferably with buddies much better than me), continue my training, and regularly practice skills. Since you enjoyed your OW class, I encourage you to stay in the sport, but keep your dives well within your comfort level. With regular practice your skills will improve, you'll feel more confident, and maybe even a bit proud of your diving achievements. And don't worry about worry too much, you'll lighten up when the time is right for you.

Learning to do things underwater doesn't come as easily as learning the nursing skills (I could breath didn't have to think about it so I could concentrate on learning the skill). Those skills are similiar to diving failure is not an option because someone's life may depend on you accomplishing the skill.

Let me see the only important thing in diving is to keep breathing, I believe you said you could do that so its a done deal. Besides as a nurse just put some white tape on it and should feel right at home..........just keep breathing

TexasDave:
Help!!! Being new to the sport and reading the board has given just a small amount of concern about what I have gotten into. It may be that at 48 I have reached a point that it is not wise to put one in harms way knowingly. I enjoyed most of my OW class, (became frustrated when I had trouble with a skill I couldn't perform as well as I thought I should be able to). I am smart enough to know this is dangerous and realize you can get in trouble in the blink of an eye. When I start reading I recognize I know enough to be dangerous to myself. How did the rest of you feel when you were frshly wet behind the ears?
When I was freshly wet behind the ears I was in my teens and that was so long ago that I don't remember :54: much of it anymore. The key to safe scuba is to go slowly, respect your limitations and make sure that on every dive you (1) have fun and (2) learn something. Most of the folks who get into trouble do so because of overconfidence and lack of caution. Interestingly enough, the two groups most likely to succumb to this hubris are new divers and the salty old veterans. Yesterday marked 33 years since I was first certified and I'm still learning. I'm also still having fun. If you plan your dive, dive your plan and dive often you'll do just fine.

Hey Dave!

I was 53 when I started, but I think it was easier for me in some ways. Had a good background in snorkeling and some free diving, survived a Scuba Resort Course on the far side of the Caribbean - where rules are only suggestions, etc.

Hope you continue, while you make sure it's both safe and fun. After I got certified, I went to Key Largo Florida to dive the shallow reefs, and I think that's a really good place for a newbie to practice new skills. You might even hire your own personal Dive Master to go with you on dives until you feel more confident, or at least book charters that put a DM in the water on every dive and talk to the DM about your jitters.

Have fun and good luck~! don

Dave:

1) You are a nurse. Your daily work environment contains blood borne pathogens, aerosol borne pathogens, code browns, ect. Dive as much as possible to reduce your risk of exposure.

2) You are 48 and well past the half-way point. The second half goes by much faster than the first half. Now is not the time to start worrying about dying. It is going to happen. Embrace that fact of life and you will be free to enjoy what little time you have left.

3) Diving is safer than the drive to the dive site.

Uncle Pug:
Dave:

1) You are a nurse. Your daily work environment contains blood borne pathogens, aerosol borne pathogens, code browns, ect. Dive as much as possible to reduce your risk of exposure.

2) You are 48 and well past the half-way point. The second half goes by much faster than the first half. Now is not the time to start worrying about dying. It is going to happen. Embrace that fact of life and you will be free to enjoy what little time you have left.

3) Diving is safer than the drive to the dive site.

What's you mean the second half goes by faster boy! I was 19 yesterday. :wink:

Hi, my husband is loged in, but I'll answer that question. I was sacred to death when I was taking diving lessons. I was 45, and took lessons in Maui, in the ocean.I didn't sleep the night before I knew I had to take my mask off and put it back on under water.I managed to do it but to clear my mask I blew with my mouth instead of my nose. It took me a full minute to figure out what I was doing wrong, and not until my husband touched my nose. My husband and instructer got a good laugh out of that one :) I did pass Open Water, and have been diving all over ever since, and love it!! If I can do it anyone can.

Now who said something about being old Pug. Remeber I'm a nurse got the inside track on all the latest doomaflitches in the works to keep us around. Real guys they took my white tape away 10+ years ago. Still have a liscense but I manage a group of 60+ doctors and 350+ employees. My son and daughter will finish college in 2years. The answer to them after that is "what inheritance your mother and I spent it all".
Everyone knows the one with the most toys and that had the most fun wins. We will be diving in Belize in May I really just started reading the board and got overwhelmed with what I didn't know. Time and experience will solve that problem.
Now I guess I'll just have to find some of the swamp divers and find a place to dive locally. Thanks again!

TexasDave, I'm about the same age as you. I don't worry about my age, but do take care of myself and stay in good physical shape. As long as you don't dive beyond your limits/training you should be fine. I'll tell you my OW dives were miserable and I question why I was going through this. I love diving and go every chance I get, hang in there.

Hi

I did not start diving until I was 44 and at 52 (and a grandmother) I became a PADI Master Scuba Diving Trainer and am running a dive school and resort. I was very nervous to start with and had big problems with mask skills but that passes. I have now been diving for 10 years and have never had a diving incident, that is not to say that diving is not a serious sport because it is and if you do not learn properly and abide by the 'rules' you can be harmed. However, if you are sensible and do it right it is a wonderful sport, the beauty underwater is awesome and I never get tired of it which is why I now do it for a living.

Life's an adventure, DIVE in!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom