Worried

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasDave

Reaction score
Help!!! Being new to the sport and reading the board has given just a small amount of concern about what I have gotten into. It may be that at 48 I have reached a point that it is not wise to put one in harms way knowingly. I enjoyed most of my OW class, (became frustrated when I had trouble with a skill I couldn't perform as well as I thought I should be able to). I am smart enough to know this is dangerous and realize you can get in trouble in the blink of an eye. When I start reading I recognize I know enough to be dangerous to myself. How did the rest of you feel when you were frshly wet behind the ears?

Dave,

Relax and realize no one performed all their skills perfectly when starting to dive. Being totally comfortable and confident will take a bit of time. Diving isn't dangerous if you keep it simple, keep your head and dive within your limits. Practice what you don't feel confident about. Discuss it with your instructor. Find a more experienced buddy but don't rely on that buddy for everything. And remember to have fun.

I would bet (if I was a betting woman!) that after a few dives you'll have an entirely different outlook. You'll love the relaxation and escape of the underwater world.

Paula

TexasDave:
How did the rest of you feel when you were freshly wet behind the ears?
Like I needed to dive more! It worked, too :D

Which skill did you have trouble with? There are some very helpful instructors here that could probably give you some helpful pointers on how to overcome your difficulties.

If you can find a more experienced and competent buddy who will act as your mentor, s/he can do wonders for your confidence and skill level as well.

Snowbear:
Like I needed to dive more! It worked, too :D

Which skill did you have trouble with? There are some very helpful instructors here that could probably give you some helpful pointers on how to overcome your difficulties.

If you can find a more experienced and competent buddy who will act as your mentor, s/he can do wonders for your confidence and skill level as well.
Snowbear,

I can demonstrate the skills. By education I am a nurse so in school we had skills training very similiar to dive classes. Classroom work, skills lab, demonstrate skills on people. I was one of the students who could readily accomplish the skill and quickly become proficient. So it should work the same way in OW right not so. When I looked at the dive masters and cons helping with the class I felt that I should quickly be able to fin pivot as well as them just like in school many years ago. Although now with the exception on CPR you really wouldn't want me near you been a manager to long. So I would get frustrated because I had expectations beyond my skill level.
Learning to do things underwater doesn't come as easily as learning the nursing skills (I could breath didn't have to think about it so I could concentrate on learning the skill). Those skills are similiar to diving failure is not an option because someone's life may depend on you accomplishing the skill.
It's just reassuring to know that other people felt the same way.

TexasDave:
demonstrate skills on people (now its your turn to be concerned
Nah - I'm a paramedic. I "practice" on humans on a regular basis :D

You said:
(became frustrated when I had trouble with a skill I couldn't perform as well as I thought I should be able to)
Which is why I asked which skill you had trouble with. Continuing with the medical analogy, I have found as a preceptor (aka mentor) to new and aspiring medics, they may be able to demonstrate a skill, yet not be proficient ubtil they have practiced it. I'm sure you've seen and experienced the same thing as a nurse both in fellow nurses as well as with new docs. I've seen the same progression with new divers, especially since I became a DM.

No amount of training can substitute for experience. But as you said, if you follow the steps - starting with the classroom, then the lab (pool/confined water), the the actual clinical setting (open water) - you become a bit more proficient and comfortable as you practice. If there is a particular skill you're not comfortable with, it may help to go back to the pool. Another option is more time in shallow open water with a competent mentor.

You're NOT too old to learn this and if you truly want to learn to be a proficient diver, you will be motivated to spend time in the water and you WILL become more comfortable. The more comfortable you are, the safer you will be - as long as you don't become complacent. Good luck and welcome to Neptune's realm :D

TD you already have one very good skill, a healthy respect for the dangers of diving! Dive within your comfort level, and training. Always take "your" time, for pre dive checks, dive planning, on the ladder or at shore line. I see way too many peole hurring to keep up with other divers only to have a problem that wouldn't have been if they had taken "their" time in the first place.

my wife was taking the OW with me and she had a lot of trouble with her buoyancy control.

we got to the 1st open water dive (shore dive) and she kept going down. she had a panic attack because she saw all the big, spiky sea urchins and she was heading into a lot of them because of the poor buoancy.
she got out of the water because she was to anxious to try it again.

now we're back in portugal and she'll give it another try. she'll start pool sessions in a couple of weeks, to get her buoyancy mastered and then head back to the ocean to complete/start (depends on point of view) her education.

i think she was too stressed about getting all the information and skills into her head in a very short time and she just needed a slower, more relaxed aproach...

i think you, english speaking people, have an expression: easy does it ?

TexasDave:
It may be that at 48 I have reached a point that it is not wise to put one in harms way knowingly.

Dave-

At 40, I am one of the youngest in my circle of dive buddies. It is important to know your limits, but age alone is not a factor.

Relax and HAVE FUN!

Juls

I'm 47 and dive cause my kids wanted to.

Its worth it..........................

DeputyDan:
I'm 47 and dive cause my kids wanted to.

Its worth it..........................

I'm 10 years older than you and still make part of my living from diving.

Go play and go enjoy a wonderful sport. It's even better when the family is involved. And it gets better yet when a bunch of your co-workers enjoy it as well.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom