Worst Mishap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GULP! :eek:

This is the only story in here that actually gave me a cold shiver down my spine. I am only too aware of how quickly you can drift without even knowing it...fortunately the worst thing that's ever happened to me from this kind of drifting is when I lost the nudie I was trying to photograph because I looked away to fumble with something, then looked back and couldn't find the darn thing. But to lose your reel in a wreck...GULP!

Awfully glad you found it! PHEW!

At the time, my divorce was not yet final. My last thought would have been "I cannot believe my ex is going to get EVERYTHING!".

Sheesh, guys. Give a guy a break. In a moment of panic, you don't always think of the RIGHT thing to do.

Sheesh, guys. Give a guy a break. In a moment of panic, you don't always think of the RIGHT thing to do.

I for one, vote that the Op should be castrated. Well, only partially. Let's leave him one.

That way he'll have good reason not to make that same mistake again.

POOR GUY it wasn't even the OP we were bashing LOL:rofl3:

Anyone who screws up needs to be partially castrated.

Well, guys do.

Women we have to think of some other appropriate repurcussion.

Maybe yank an ovary or something of that nature.

The latter part of last year, I was making a boat dive in Lake Travis (Austin, TX) at a spot called the "Oasis Wall". I buddied up with a couple of guys, one who needed to log a dive deeper than 100 ft in preparatin for taking a tech course. The plan was to head out perpendicular from the shore, then drop down into the old river channel which would take us down to 100 ft fairly quickly. Once he registered it on his computer, we'd do a 180 and return back to the wall of the river bank (approx. 60 ft depth), play along the wall for a bit, then surface. This wall is known for its grottos, some farly large. Viz on this dive was approximately 3 ft with heavy silt.

We dropped down, headed out, dropped over the wall ledge and hit 100 ft fairly soon. We did our 180, heading back to the wall. I was concentrating on my compass due to the somewhat limited viz. Next thing I know, I look up and see rock above me. We'd swam into a grotto not realizing it. After my initial "Oh S_ _ _" moment, I check my air. Ok, plenty of air. I look around for my buddies and see their lights several feet below me. I tried to get their attention with little luck. I was afraid to drop down to where they were in fear of a silt out. I kept my fingers and eyes on the ceiling and began swimming backwards. After what seemed to be an eternity, my fingers found the edge of the grotto and open water. My buddies and I joined up outside the grotto and finished our dive. This experience has effected my diving in that I am now much more aware of my surroundings. Since then, there have been times during dark and deep dives where I become apprehensive, looking overhead for a glimmer of daylight. At that point, it's not fun anymore and I risk becoming a liability to myself and my buddy. I'll ascend to a depth where I feel comfortable and finish the dive. Knowing your limits is one thing. Accepting them is something quite different.

Ok oldschool is on the block for an unintentional overhead entry.

Which nut is it gonna be?

I'm an equal opportunity employer.

:support:
:pirate6:
smiley-vault-character-017.gif

:D
chainsaw.gif

Please choice the tool for this job. I will be watching :popcorn: from the sideline!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom