Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The people of Cozumel are a hardworking resourceful group of folks. They can make something awesome out of nothing and even make it look good. But to compare Cozumel's experience with Katrina is just ignorant. I rode out Katrina and put our lives back together afterwards. Katrina destroyed and devastated an area the size of the United Kingdom. The VAST majority of people all the way up and down the Gulf Coast pulled together, worked together and helped each other out unlike anything I have ever seen before or after. Folks in St Bernard Parish were out rescueing their neighbors and bringin em to the Northshore LONG before any first responders showed their face. CNN and the other's did a fine job of making everyone in Louisiana look like hapless victims. It's a constant sore spot with me. I live in Houston now and SOOOOO many Houstonians are very judgemental about what went on during and after Katrina when they really don't have clue one about what they're talking about. These storms hurt and affect the very poorest of our citizens worse than anyone else. I can assure you that if a storm as bad as Katrina hit Houston (Ike wasn't even close) CNN and their buddies would make Houston look MUCH worse.

Now take it back or I'll put a crab in yer wetsuit!!!

Maybe I should have clarified that I was referring specifically to the way new orleans responded, not the way the whole gulf coast responded, but I stand by what I said about the differences between the two. I work for a company based in Baton Rouge and we were responsible for setting up disaster recovery centers all over Louisiana and Texas after Katrina and Rita. We got to see first hand exactly how people responded to the storm, and I will tell you firsthand from seeing both the New Orleans response to Katrina and the San Miguel response to Wilma, that it was very different. First of all, what we saw in New Orleans was a city that has known for decades that a large storm would be likely to flood a big chunk of the city. Yet the city government had no plan to deal with such a situation, or ignored the plans they had. Thousands upon thousands of residents knew for decades that the city was likely to flood, but made no plans of their own about how to prepare for that situation or used "looting what was left" and "begging for FEMA handouts" as their survival strategy. The actual damage to New Orleans prior to the levee breaches was very minor compared to what coz faced from Wilma. Coz was under the right side eye wall of a cat 4 storm for nearly 48 hours. Katrina was barely cat 2 when it hit N.O. And after it was over, the people in coz put their butts to work cleaning up and the local officials put their plans into action to recover essential services. The folks in N.O. (Even the ones not flooded out) mainly stood around complaining about how the government wasn't there to fix things fast enough. And here in Houston, once they were all settled in free apartments paid for by the government, we got to see them every six months for the next two year begging and screaming that they just hadn't had enough time yet to get back on their feet and paying their own rent. The folks in coz were on their feet working their butts off within hours after the storm finished blowing. Two years later, we still had thousands from N.O. Here in Houston living rent free on government welfare and telling us they needed more time to get back on their feet.

You are correct that not all of the gulf coast responded that way, but more than just a few dozen in New Orleans did. Our company spent months signing them up at the astrodome and other recovery centers around Louisiana and Texas, and I can promise you the number was in the tens of thousands who spent months or years on public assistance despite their home state begging for folks to come home to take the jobs that needed to be filled. The point of what I was saying was that clearly the folks in San Miguel planned for the destruction of the storm and expected to have to do the work of recovery for themselves and they wasted no time getting started. A large number of the folks in New Orleans, including the city government, made little or no preparations, and expected somebody else to take care of them after the storm. That comparison doesn't hold for mobile or Biloxi or anywhere else, but it was very apparent for New Orleans.

And yes GGunn, I know parts of New Orleans were under water...and most of the folks there were aware of that possibility for nearly 2 decades before it happened, yet had no plans to evacuate themselves or to survive staying where they were. They were given explicit warnings from the hurricane center about that possibility just days before the storm, and still many chose to make no effort to leave or prepare for the possibility. Then they had the gall to complain about how long FEMA took to get there and the manner in which they provided aid. Not a shining moment for those folks, and quite different than the response in Cozumel.

Oh, another tip: DON'T buy the 5 for 20 tee shirts in the place in the front of the plaza. I got them once for gifts. They are like infant wear after the first wash.

----------

Guess I shouldn't complain too much then. They've withstood a year of washing without a problem. But 2 for $25- ouch.

Well it wasn't the worst dive for us four but I think it was for our DM that week. It was the very last dive of our week long trip. The usual endless incredible viz, no kick current, beautiful San Francisco wall dive. All 4 of us use pony bottle backups on every FLA dive, and also take them to Coz. Pony's all the time, even on vacation. We're cruising along at 50ft and the DM is leading having already shot a bag for the mellow end-of-drift ascent. I pull and switch to my pony so I can drain it for the airplane ride. The other 3 next to me see this and pull theirs also to drain them.

About a minute later the leading DM's looks backwards and see's all his diver's on pony bottles and the hand gestures start. Up?, OK? Octo?, OK? UP? OK? We all start holding up gauges for him to see, 900psi, 750psi, 800psi, 850psi. Another round of OK's from everyone. On the surface he's calm but confused why all his diver's are on pony's. We tell him we're draining them to take on the plane since it's our last dive and have to hand smack the valves to remove them. He says please let me know next time. So now just like the bars, we have a last call for the pony ride on the boat!

This one time at El Presidente, we had a room beside a family whose EXTREMELY LOUD child woke up, screaming, at 5am every day for 3 days. She then screamed until they went to bfast at 7.

That sucked.

All-in-all, the diving is great. I would not go to Coz for any other reason.

My wife and daughter have been to Cozumel five times and have never been more than two feet underwater and have never put foot on a dive boat. Not sure they would agree with you on that.

My biggest complaint is that they get me drunk on purpose! Hey, I have dive tomorrow bartender, why are you getting me drunk??

I will be going back at Christmas time for my annual trip (of course, I go more than once a year, but whatever...)

---------- Post added September 8th, 2013 at 10:38 PM ----------

I always stay at the hotel Flamingo in town - inexpensive, nice staff and always other divers there who are usually on the same boat (Sergio Sandoval) so you get back after diving, have a few beers and reminisce about the day. Great steak restaurant on the corner and just a few blocks from town center. After a day or two, many of the business hawkers do start recognizing you and stop asking you to come in their stores.

Maybe I should have clarified that I was referring specifically to the way new orleans responded, not the way the whole gulf coast responded, but ...

Apples and corduroy; the differences are far too numerous to mention. That Katrina and Wilma were both very bad hurricanes are where virtually all the similarities end. You can easily say that these people did this and those people did that, but it's different people and different circumstances. I have very close family ties in Lake Charles and Slidell.

Back
Top Bottom