Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, the worst was that we managed to find the most expensive T-shirts in the Carribean. Too tired to bargain, and those things cost a fortune. Then they didn't even have my first choice in my size. Pretty big bummer after a great day.

Oh, another tip: DON'T buy the 5 for 20 tee shirts in the place in the front of the plaza. I got them once for gifts. They are like infant wear after the first wash.

---------- Post added September 5th, 2013 at 06:10 PM ----------

All-in-all, the diving is great. I would not go to Coz for any other reason.

Wow. That is a serious condemnation right there.

I am always regretting all the things I didn't get a chance to do because I am diving all the time.

The worst part of my brief visit was getting tired from all the snorkeling and having to eat guac, chips, salsa, enchiladas and drink dos XX while my wife kept snorkeling. Next time I'll be in better shape before I hit the water.

Jerry

That would have been Wilma, later the same year as Katrina. That year is the only year I know of when they ran out of letters for named storms and had to go to Greek letters.

Thanks for the correction. Like I said I couldn't remember if it was Katrina or not. I just know the locals were great when we were there and yes they were still busting their rears to get sand cleared and everything up and running. What really saddened me the most was the reef system. Diving there after that direct hit and seeing the massive reef destruction was a real tearjerker. It kept reminding my of pictures I have seen of the Tunguska Forest after that meteor explosion in 1908. B.

Thanks for the correction. Like I said I couldn't remember if it was Katrina or not. I just know the locals were great when we were there and yes they were still busting their rears to get sand cleared and everything up and running. What really saddened me the most was the reef system. Diving there after that direct hit and seeing the massive reef destruction was a real tearjerker. It kept reminding my of pictures I have seen of the Tunguska Forest after that meteor explosion in 1908. B.
It's better now. Certainly now the way it was, but there is a LOT of new growth.

Yeah, it's been 4 1/2 years since I have been to Coz. I'm sure a lot has grown back since then. I have the itch and may be back in November or December with my buddy and his wife. I'm sure we will be staying at the Villa Aldora and I know we will be diving with Aldora. But nothing has been cemented yet. Just bouncing it around and it all depends on finances. I want to explore the C53 more especially since I now have my first two tec certs that would be a good one to do more practice on too. B.

Yeah, it's been 4 1/2 years since I have been to Coz. I'm sure a lot has grown back since then. I have the itch and may be back in November or December with my buddy and his wife. I'm sure we will be staying at the Villa Aldora and I know we will be diving with Aldora. But nothing has been cemented yet. Just bouncing it around and it all depends on finances. I want to explore the C53 more especially since I now have my first two tec certs that would be a good one to do more practice on too. B.
The truth is that the shallow reefs that were hit the worst will never be the same in our or our children's children's lifetimes; hard corals take centuries to develop to the point where they were before the storm. But the good news is that sponges, soft corals, fans, etc. grow much faster and are well on their way to recovery. Also, the storm rearranged things in deeper water as well and opened up deeper structure and swimthroughs that had been buried in sand, so there is new stuff to see. The diving is different now but still fantastic, not to mention easy and relatively cheap to get to from Texas (where I am). I'll keep going back.

The truth is that the shallow reefs that were hit the worst will never be the same in our or our children's children's lifetimes; hard corals take centuries to develop to the point where they were before the storm. But the good news is that sponges, soft corals, fans, etc. grow much faster and are well on their way to recovery. Also, the storm rearranged things in deeper water as well and opened up deeper structure and swimthroughs that had been buried in sand, so there is new stuff to see. The diving is different now but still fantastic, not to mention easy and relatively cheap to get to from Texas (where I am). I'll keep going back.

I think this is all true, but I would like to add an experience that some might find interesting.

I was once on a dive in Cozumel, getting near the end as we drifted by a shallow reef that stood on top of a large ridge of sand. (I don't remember which site.) We saw something strange below--a couple of big grouper and a nurse shark were involved in some sort of activity.on the edge of the sand bank. I went down to investigate, and I saw that two large groupers were watching with interest as a nurse shark seem intent on burrowing into the sand. nearly half his body was buried, and it was lashing its tail, seemingly in an intent to get in deeper. I swear one of the groupers looked at me as if to say, "Do you think we'll get anything out of this?" Eventually the shark's body started to move in a way that suggested it was swallowing something. It pulled out of the hole in the sand and swam casually away. I got out my light and looked at the hole. I saw that the same was covering an internal structure that was once an exposed coral reef. I could see a complex of little coral rooms, once of which had apparently recently housed the shark's meal.

Who knows how long ago a once vibrant reef was covered with sand by some ancient Wilma? How long had the exposed reef above it been growing? It is all part of the process.

djanni said:
sometimes the visibility is less than 150'

This usually follows a trip to Wet Wendy's. I've noticed this phenomenon at Ernesto's Fajita Factory also. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom