Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blame it on CV .... it's all about supply and demand. He drinks all the supply, and the shopkeepers have to raise the prices to meet the demand ....:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

---------- Post added September 15th, 2013 at 06:40 PM ----------

Hmmm .... heard a 'worst of' story directly from Coz today ...... apparently a (well-known SB) diver showed up to the boat 30 minutes late, keeping everyone waiting; then realized he left his regs back at his condo and spent 45 minutes to go back and get them :no: .... some people are just SOOOOOO inconsiderate of other divers and the DM!! I hope they make him buy all the drinks tonight!! :cheers:

Why would the operator sit around and wait that long for one person? Seems very inconsiderate to the other divers.

Why would the operator sit around and wait that long for one person? Seems very inconsiderate to the other divers.

Yea, seriously inconsiderate, the jackwagon. He is an idiot.... But at least he drives like a Cozumeleno, so he was back in WAY less than 45 minutes. More like 20. On the bright side he and his wife are so lovable and the other guy was a last minute fill in and both gracious and charming. I believe they all enjoyed the show. And the boat capitan's son got to spend a little more time talking to the other guy's daughter, so he wasn't complaining either.

I mean that's what i heard about the incident through the grapevine......

There really is so much not to like about Cozumel. I'm actually sitting in my hotel room right now in Cozumel and after a few shore dives today I noticed they have a current. I can't believe I had to use my fins. Oh, and I have a headache now because I strained my eyes trying to see what was 200 feet away. Just too many options to look at! I never have that issue back at the lake in AZ. But after 80+ min in the water it started to get boring. You know, too many fish, coral etc to concentrate on. Then the dive operator asked if it would be ok if they picked me up outside my room tomorrow morning at 10:00 since it will only be my wife and I diving. They also asked us where we wanted to go. Isn't that what a DM is for? The nerve. Anyway who wants to sleep in the morning after staying up mingling with the locals celebrating their Independence Day. Also too many food options to try from the vendors on the square. I may have heartburn from the devil shrimp. The hotel also asked if it they could move us to a suite tomorrow since a guest was leaving and we might like the larger room. Really pushy don't you think? What really put a damper on my day was the MEGA was out of those sweet little bananas I loved last year. I was so looking forward to them. Maybe they will have them later in the week. I can only hope. I'm also down to my last cold beer. What kind of establishment would allow that? I don't think one of those AI places would. Well, I have to run. The cab driver is 3 min early from when I said we needed him here. Gosh....... Heading back down to the party.... I sure hope this trip gets better!

Yea, seriously inconsiderate, the jackwagon. He is an idiot.... But at least he drives like a Cozumeleno, so he was back in WAY less than 45 minutes. More like 20. On the bright side he and his wife are so lovable and the other guy was a last minute fill in and both gracious and charming. I believe they all enjoyed the show. And the boat capitan's son got to spend a little more time talking to the other guy's daughter, so he wasn't complaining either.

I mean that's what i heard about the incident through the grapevine......
I'm sure you 'heard' it from a much more reliable (??? :rofl3: ) source, cv. And I'm betting the lovable wife kept the jackwagon from being tossed overboard, lol!! You just have to wonder - knowing all the nightly Coz partying going on - if tequila consumption was at fault......:eyebrow:

I'm sure you 'heard' it from a much more reliable (??? :rofl3: ) source, cv. And I'm betting the lovable wife kept the jackwagon from being tossed overboard, lol!! You just have to wonder - knowing all the nightly Coz partying going on - if tequila consumption was at fault......:eyebrow:

You know I heard that guy was so callous about the incident, he actually said,"Let them eat cake!"

Steve's cake.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't that be "Déjalos comer pastel" ????? :eyebrow:

(And those palm trees look pretty darn yummy .... guess we need to add wonderfully fattening pastries & cakes to the 'Worst of Coz' list!!:D )

Or, "Tener su pastel y comérselo también ...." :D

Our worse experience was trying out a different dive operator, Deep Exposure Dive Center, that advertised a seemingly big, nice, twin-engine boat and a relaxing surface interval at a beach.

The email communications with co-owner Lupita should have been a tell-tale sign since the rates she quoted were inconsistent with the website and were comparatively way higher than other dive shops. The unfriendly reception we received from her when we got to the dive shop should have sent us packing.

Their dive boat was way overloaded with equipment and more divers than we were told about, close to capacity of 18, some of whom were actually groups of independent divers that came aboard with their own dive masters, and we were mixed with tech divers and their own instructor, co-owner Don, who was very unfriendly just like his wife Lupita.

The dive boat plodded its way slowly out of Puerto Abrigo, making stops along the way South, and traveled at a snail's pace. The smaller boats we customarily dive with went flying by, waving at us as they passed!

Our dive equipment was of inferior quality. Our dive master, once we descended, never looked back once during a fairly swift drift dive.

Back on board, we trolled around in open water for quite some time awaiting the return of the tech divers doing their prolonged techie dives.

The surface interval was long and spent tied to a concrete/wooden boardwalk leading to nowhere near the south of the island.

(Note: the captain of the dive boat and the deck hand were fantastic!)

That was our most regrettable experience in Cozumel. Dive and learn, as they say.

Actually, I kinda enjoy the SI at that lonesome pier on the south end!

And usually it isnt that lonesome. You usually get to see lots of people and check out the other ops and such. If you want, it is just a little walk up the beach to the club and the peacocks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom