Worst of Cozumel.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate it when cute young Mexican girls stalk me in the stores, or at the Cigar Bar......... :wink:

We have wanted to try staying in town but we always stay at the "all inclusives" south... as our biggest peeve is when we venture into town... the constant sales pitch from every business going really makes walking around frustrating. We have even tried removing our resort bracelets. Does it get any better as the business owners get to reconize you or is it a constant battle you just suck up?

We walk everywhere while on Coz so have to walk by the hawkers ALOT. While it is somewhat annoying, we've made it into a game to see which ones can make us laugh with their "sales pitch". Our favorites are "It's almost free!" and "It was free yesterday!" and "Come look at my cheap junk!". After walking by the same guy a few times in one day and each time us saying "No, thank you.", the guy said "Quit being so Mexican!" We laughed so hard we almost pee-d our pants!

To beat a dead thread.....

In regards to the hawkers my wife and son took to pretending they were deaf with fake signing. I didn't participate but it was effective, stopped the sales pitches cold.

To beat a dead thread.....

In regards to the hawkers my wife and son took to pretending they were deaf with fake signing. I didn't participate but it was effective, stopped the sales pitches cold.

And to sound like a broken record here from this end, why do you consider yourselves above a firm, but courteous "No Gracias?"

Do you think that the hawkers are trying to do something more than feed and house themselves?

I for one, don't find any amusement in your post. None.

We walk everywhere while on Coz so have to walk by the hawkers ALOT. While it is somewhat annoying, we've made it into a game to see which ones can make us laugh with their "sales pitch". Our favorites are "It's almost free!" and "It was free yesterday!" and "Come look at my cheap junk!". After walking by the same guy a few times in one day and each time us saying "No, thank you.", the guy said "Quit being so Mexican!" We laughed so hard we almost pee-d our pants!
I play with them, too. Once I pretended to be insulted and asked the guy, "Hey! Do I look like a tourist to you???" I was dressed in white shorts, Hawaiian shirt, sunglasses, and a white canvas hat. We both busted out laughing and I went on my way.

ggunn, now that's funny...... :rofl3:

I play with them, too. Once I pretended to be insulted and asked the guy, "Hey! Do I look like a tourist to you???" I was dressed in white shorts, Hawaiian shirt, sunglasses, and a white canvas hat. We both busted out laughing and I went on my way.

A great approach. The critical, commendable part is bolded.

Speak some German to them....or another foreign language. Works like a charm. Had a friend with me once who spoke Klingon. Now THAT was funny......

Back
Top Bottom