Worth bringing can light on tropical trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_O_H

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm heading to Fiji this August and can't decide whether it's worthwhile to bring my 21w Salvo along.

On one hand I love, love, love diving with it up here and live to peer into nooks and crannies, whether here or abroad. I think I would really miss the ability to bring the light of my own personal sun to bear upon any critters unfoturnate enough to have had me discover their hidey hole.

On the other hand, the light is a lot less cool even up here in NorCal on bright days with great visibility. I'm hoping that all my dives in Fiji will be bright and clear. I also think I remember Uncle Pug saying he thought his HID was overkill in Fiji and that he didn't even use it for most of his trip. The final nail in the coffin is being limited to 33 lbs of luggage. My HID is heavy, bulky and supposedly fragile.

If I don't end up bringing my HID, can anyone recommend a flamethrower of a small backup light that I could bring instead?

Oh, by the way, did I mention I'm going to Fiji this August? Okay... just checking.

Take it - I always carry mine (Salvo 9A 18W) as hand lugguage anyway. It's better than getting there and kicking yourself for not bringing it. If you think it's overkill once you get there, just stop using it. As for fragility, the Salvo is quite tough.

I have an Ikelite thats uses 8 D batteries that screems lightpower.
Where are you going?

Serious overkill ... and probably won't be appreciated by whomever you are diving with when you turn the whole reef into a day dive (nocturnal critters tend to make themselves scarce when that happens).

I have a 10W NiteRider that I bring on tropical trips ... and it's almost too much. A handheld LED light, such as the C8 eLED, is just about all the light you'll need in clear, tropical waters.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Serious overkill ... and probably won't be appreciated by whomever you are diving with when you turn the whole reef into a day dive (nocturnal critters tend to make themselves scarce when that happens).

I have a 10W NiteRider that I bring on tropical trips ... and it's almost too much. A handheld LED light, such as the C8 eLED, is just about all the light you'll need in clear, tropical waters.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just to be clear, I'm thinking of using it during the daytime. I'm all for minimal lighting on night dives and I have a C4 that I use at night (even up here).

dlndavid:
Where are you going?

Thank you for asking.

I'm going to Fiji.

This August.

For three (3) weeks.

Fiji.

Got a UKSL 6. Compact, rugged and good beam for a small torch, but really all you need for a holiday trip that doesn't include serious night diving.

I would contribute an opinion to this thread, but I find myself hating you too much to bother.

:wink:

ok, I don't have a can light, but with luggage restrictions like that it seems to me like an obvious thing to give up first. Even if it were a useful thing to have in clear water, something smaller does work fine, even in the day for peeking into holes.

Daytime in clear water the light can just be seen on the ground (no beam can be seen however) you might PM TSandM and ask her opinion as she used hers on their trip to Maui a couple weeks ago - I brought my 10watt along (day time) but you can't even see it on the ground (I use it mostly for looking into holes etc..)

Where was it you were going again? :wink:

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom