Worth buying 3mm suit that may be used 15 days/year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paco II

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As my Fiji trip approaches, I am considering the purchase of a 3mm fullsuit to take with me. I am bringing all my other gear, but don't currently own a 3mm suit. My 7mm suits are much better suited to Monterey diving :wink:

My issue is this: Is it worth purchasing a 3mm suit that will be used 15 days per year tops (based on the assumption of 2-3 tropical trips per year). I obviously prefer to dive in my own wetsuit, but should I really spend the money on something that will hang in a closet for approx 350 days per year?

I was torn about whether this should go in Exposure or this forum. If mods think I made the wrong choice, please move it :)

Sure, if you get one at the right price. i'll sell you a new one at $49.99 just PM me.

Great deal on SEA ELITE EQUATOR 3/2 JUMPSUIT from Divers-Supply.com

Seriously however I vote you should even if not from me. Other than thermal protection (huge when you want to do 4-5 dives a day on a once in a lifetime dive trip) they also provide valuable protection againts things like jellyfish stings, fire coral etc.

Best,

Mark

Absolutely!

For about $10 per day over that first year you guarantee that you will have a suit that fits right and you know the history of. Compared to your travel budget it is chump change. Get the suit and don't think twice.

That being said why would you travel so far to only make 8-5 dives per visit? Are you not obsessed?

Pete

... Other than thermal protection (huge when you want to do 4-5 dives a day on a once in a lifetime dive trip) they also provide valuable protection againts things like jellyfish stings, fire coral etc...

I would rent the wetsuit where I went. I would definitely use something.

...That being said why would you travel so far to only make 8-5 dives per visit? Are you not obsessed?...

Not what sure '8-5 dives' means. When I do travel, I usually can get in about 5 days of diving. So assuming I can get in 3 trips per year, that's 15 days of diving with the suit in a calendar year.

Then it is a simple matter of your personal sense of hygiene!

As my Fiji trip approaches, I am considering the purchase of a 3mm fullsuit to take with me. I am bringing all my other gear, but don't currently own a 3mm suit. My 7mm suits are much better suited to Monterey diving :wink:

My issue is this: Is it worth purchasing a 3mm suit that will be used 15 days per year tops (based on the assumption of 2-3 tropical trips per year). I obviously prefer to dive in my own wetsuit, but should I really spend the money on something that will hang in a closet for approx 350 days per year?

I was torn about whether this should go in Exposure or this forum. If mods think I made the wrong choice, please move it :)

Sure! Use it then put it on ebay. Get a new on every year.

definately buy the suit, you may use it more than you know.

Buy it!! You can buy one for $150 to use 15 days a year, or you can rent one for about $10 a day, or $150 a year.

At least if you have your own, you'll know who last urinated in it.

Not what sure '8-5 dives' means. When I do travel, I usually can get in about 5 days of diving. So assuming I can get in 3 trips per year, that's 15 days of diving with the suit in a calendar year.

My error,

I had 15 dives over 2-3 trips in my head.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom