Worth buying 3mm suit that may be used 15 days/year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Try it on before you buy it. They all fit differently, and if it doesn't fit you correctly it work work well and you'll look stupid.

Appreciate the replies everyone. I am a gear nut as most divers are, but I am still having trouble with the idea of spending money on something that will just sit on a hanger most of the time. I think I will skip it for this trip, and see how I feel. I may regret not buying it, and then I'll buy it when I get home, ready for the next trip. Or I'll be glad I didn't get it. Again, thanks for the feedback.

There are two types of divers...

Those who pee in their wetsuit, and those who lie about it! :D

Hi,

I am in the same position as you, going to Maui and NZ later this year. I ordered from LP, has 3MM suites for $69. Sorry, I missed that Divers Supply had them even cheaper. Since they will only get used a few times per year in warm water, the fit is not critical. I can always return them for shipping if it is too far off. I hate rental gear with a passion, I would rather have cheap stuff (within reason) that I am familar with than play rental roulette.

If you are traveling thousands of miles and spending a lot of $ to enjoy a dive vacation, I think it is worth the extra $ to get a 3mm and to be really comfortable. Especially if you will use it year after year - even if only for a week at a time. And if you are on a liveaboard doing lots of dives, all the more important.

From the WeatherOne website it looks like you are luckier than I was last year. I went to Fiji On October 25 last year and we had water temps as low as 74 degrees. We had heard about this in advance and were glad we brought our 7mil wet suits. The current water temp is about 80 degrees.

I got the same dilemma. I normaly dive double 7mm in waters up to 40 °F (all season). However I'm going on my 2nd tropical holiday with extensive diving (Bonaire) and don't realy know what to do.

Use my single 7mm with zippers open. No additional cost unless I overpack and get weight penalties. Probably too hot in 80°F waters.

Buy a tropical 3 mm suit. Costs about 100 €. Lighter to pack and better in 80 ° F waters.

Just rent a shorty on location...

Don 't know yet what to do.

I think you will use the suit more than you think. There are many choices for well under $100. I am in WV and dive in quarries and lakes and in the summer it is plenty...I would definitely get it.

i had the same issue and decided to buy one. haven't decided which model yet but i'll buy one. it'll last you very long time considering you will dive 15 days per year. fit is very important and you'll get a great one if you own it.

Had to follow up a little bit. Still decided to not buy one for this trip. I'll either be glad I didn't, or wish I did, and buy one for next trip.

However, I did have to comment on the idea of getting an inexpensive wetsuit. I wish I could :) But having owned and used my Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene 7mm for a while now, and having tried other brands in the past, I couldn't imagine buying any other kind. It's expensive, which is probably a part of the reason I am so on the fence. But the fit and comfort of it is just that excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom