Worth it or just a $$ making scheme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goonsquad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is AOW worth the time? This question is for people who have gone through the class, if you knew then what you know now about the class, would you bother?

I would like to go through it, but I only want to if I am going to learn something that will make me a better/safer diver. If its worth it, are the other classes?

Basically I want to take classes until I go through the rescue course mainly because most of the classes that I would take are interesting but sound like they would teach me more about diving. If its just marketing to get my $$ and I will learn just as much in the long run by diving a lot, I would appreciate to find that out before I invest/waste the money.

All depends on the instructor. My AOW was pretty low grade, but I know there are great instructors out there that will give you a very good class for your money. Choose your instructor wisely and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Hunter

Last edited:
Is AOW worth the time? This question is for people who have gone through the class, if you knew then what you know now about the class, would you bother?

I would like to go through it, but I only want to if I am going to learn something that will make me a better/safer diver. If its worth it, are the other classes?

Basically I want to take classes until I go through the rescue course mainly because most of the classes that I would take are interesting but sound like they would teach me more about diving. If its just marketing to get my $$ and I will learn just as much in the long run by diving a lot, I would appreciate to find that out before I invest/waste the money.

I myself have wondered the same thing. I figured I would wait until I have at least 25 dives before I take the course. This experience would allow me to have a basic handle on buoyancy as well as other basic procedures. I would expect the course to reenforce the basics that we learned in OW class as well as go more into detail about finning techniques, weight management, posture, dive planning, etc... Those are topics that I feel didn't get covered very well in the OW class and that could have been further explored if the OW class was longer. The reason behind breaking the course up into segments as I would believe is simply so people do not get overwhelmed with information. I think there is plenty more to learn from classes however have no idea what the actual course curriculum entails. I don't think its TOO much of a money grab because if the OW course was longer than we would be paying for that time anyways:idk:

I'm curious as to what some of the instructors have to say most in particular about what the course curriculum includes.

Much (most) of what you get out of the course will depend heavily on the instructor (And on you! Ask lots of questions!).

Also, AOW is a "stepping stone" that is often required for further training, and may be required to do certain dives with some dive operations.

It is 6(?) more dives with an instructor. The actual class work is minimal; actually it is mostly "read the book & do the questions at the end of each chapter in advance, show up at the dive shop on dive-day and go over the end-of-chapter questions with the instructor, then go do the dive"... or a variation of that formula.

Best wishes.

As is usually the case with these kinds of questions, the answer is "It depends". It depends on how independent you are, how much of a self-motivated learner you are, the quality of your instructor, whether you've got mentors available, and sometimes, the agency you take it with (I'm not opening that can of worms).

For me, the answer was no. I didn't learn anything in AOW (Deep, Night/Limited Vis, Nav., Dry suit) that I couldn't/hadn't already learned on my own. But I'm a water baby, had been skin diving since the age of 10, am very self-motivated when learning something that interests me, and have spent a lot of time in various outdoor recreations on my own. My instructor was also not the most thorough. In effect, I had something over 35 years of preparation before I ever got my OW certification, so most of what was covered I was already familiar with, or could easily figure out by reading (in my case, well beyond the manual).

Someone who's insecure in the water, not independent, not a self-learner, and/or who has a very thorough instructor, may get a very great deal out of AOW. So you have to honestly evaluate yourself as to where you fit on the spectrum, and try to evaluate the instructor as well.

To me, the main usefulness of the AOW card is to have it to show for boats that insist on it to do particular dives. It's often a poor way of evaluating someone's skills, as the typical AOW curriculum should really be called OW part II, and having the card is no guarantee that the person is a competent diver. But it's sometimes all the boat captains have to go on, and is maybe better than nothing.

The other thing is that some agencies insist on AOW before you can take Rescue. This is the case with SSI and I believe it's the case with PADI. NAUI doesn't require AOW as a prerequisite. Other agencies vary.

HTH,

Guy

Good question, goonsquad,

1. My personal opinion is that I see a benefit to AOW in that you have carried out additional dives beyond basic OW in the presence of a professional who (should have) helped you to hone your techniques; however

2. In my mind, a basic OW diver with 200 dives under his belt is worth more than an AOW diver with 100 (and here I am being self-deprecating); and

3. I see a small difference between basic OW and AOW. However, I see a huge difference between a graduate of a quality rescue diver course and someone who is not an SRD.

Summary: I would suggest to do your AOW as a stepping stone to SRD.

For me the answer was no as well. Instructors vary however and sometimes an AOW card may be required somewhere (why I can't imagine).

There are good instructors/AOW courses out there but I would imagine 80% of them aren't worth the money for what you will (or won't learn). More diving in most cases is the better choice.

The Rescue course is a good course. A good diver however is mainly developed by diving. Course may or may not be helpful but they don't tell you anything about the diver.

It's worth it. Find a good instructor. We did ours while on a trip to Kona (Hawaii) and had a very good time. Personally, I wanted the AOW card because some dive operators require it for certain dives, and because it is a prereq for the rescue diver course.

The biggest problem with AOW is that it is very instructor-dependent. The PADI classes (which are the ones I know), if taught to the bare minimums, aren't very useful. If the instructor puts some thought into them and adds some value, they can be good learning experiences.

PADI AOW is designed to follow very closely on the heels of OW, and serve as an opportunity for a new diver to get a few more dives with an instructor, and get a very brief introduction to a few more diving situations and techniques (like night diving, for example). It's very much a "Taste of Scuba" experience, with no opportunity to delve into anything in depth, but if you are just out of OW, it can introduce some ideas you haven't been exposed to yet.

Talk to your available instructors, and ask them what they include, and how they conduct their dives. Find out if they add anything you wouldn't have gotten out of reading the book, before you ante up the money for the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom