Would a large lung capacity contribute to hogging air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finley:
you only use 16% of the o2 taken in on each breath....if your body is demanding more than that due to increased activity, extreme conditions (hot or cold..panic etc) then you have to breathe more often. THe depth of the breath doesnt really increase o2 exchange but can certainly help in the panic department. Fitness level comes in with how easily and efficiently the 02 exchange can take place ( and the cardiac demands of hauling yourself around).
Your a little off with your figures. inspired air has 21ish% O2 and expired air has 16-17%. I think that was what you were saying anyway.

I was convinced that when I took my open water class that the instructor had gills....Anyway your consumption will get better with experience.

Hi all, I am also heavy on air and tried all the techniques suggested, and although it is better, still have a problem. My buoyancy is good. What I have found the last couple of dives is that I so concentrate on breathing and conserving air that I am not really enjoying the dive. I have now made peace with the fact that I am heavy on air, and is considering on getting double tanks. Any suggestions on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom