Would a Toddy rig be an ok choice for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@scubadiver888 you may find that for wreck penetration you're going to find more areas that you can't fit in sidemount where you could in doubles than the other way around.

@JohnnyC curious about what you can't get sidemount wise with your plate for CCR that you get out of a dedicated sidemount rig. My loop bungees work the same and I use drop d-rings on the waist strap anyway for lower tank attachment so they're about in the same place as they would be on my Katana/Nomad/Razor

[USER=429324]@JohnnyC
curious about what you can't get sidemount wise with your plate for CCR that you get out of a dedicated sidemount rig. My loop bungees work the same and I use drop d-rings on the waist strap anyway for lower tank attachment so they're about in the same place as they would be on my Katana/Nomad/Razor[/USER]

BP waist belt rides higher than the waist on a properly adjusted SM harness, which moves the bottom d-ring up the body, even with drop d-rings. It's only a couple inches, but it changes the stage rigging and the trim on the bottle from its ideal position. Also the bungee location doesn't sit in the same place through the backplate as it does with a properly adjusted sidemount harness, so the tank sits farther forward. I may pick up a DSS long plate once Tobin gets back up and running and see if I can get it closer, drill some holes in the proper location.

I don't have a longer torso, so the changes are more impactful. It doesn't cause a massive difference, and for most sidemount divers they probably wouldn't know, and for most OW sidemount divers they'd probably think it still looks better than their own, but I can feel the difference in the way they ride, especially in flow. Perils of learning to dive sidemount from the guys that invented the Mexico-style of sidemount diving.

@JohnnyC I've got a long pattern plate which makes things significantly better, but I do have a long torso. The measurement from the center of my loops to the bottom attachment point is within an inch of where they live on my Katana so I count that as close enough. Hopefully the plate change will work for you

I finally got around to setting this up. I went for a dive yesterday and tried it out. It was awesome! Gearing up and getting in the water was much easier. It was so much easier to keep good trim while diving and it was a very comfortable way to dive. I'm really glad I tried this out. I did find it a little harder to easily adjust my buoyancy, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom