Would like to start shooting video * Can I do it for under $1000???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueDolphin

Reaction score
And be happy?

I want to start shooting video. I dive normally in the 75 ft or less range.

Can I get decent results spending $1000 or less?

Can anyone recommend a good setup for the above price range? What should I avoid? Any particular housings that are bad?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I already have an Sony Hi8 or Sharp miniDV camera that I can use, so I don't really need to purchase a new camera unless I use a designated housing (not likely for my price point).

I picked up a $125 super plain housing that has no outside controls. Have to use a remote control to turn on the cam before diving.
Have not had a chance to use it yet. Thought maybe it would be a nice way to work on some skills.

Thanks!

just my $0.02 - forget the Hi8 - welcome to the 21st century... hehehehehe - if the SHARP fits in the $125 SPH - go for it!

having to turn the camera on before the dive is no problem, you'll just have lots of wasted tape, but then again, tape is cheap! AUTOFOCUS on the CAM should be fine, but do a search on this FORUM.... i'm pretty sure there's a post about how to set the MANUAL focus for most conditions that might work better.

if the $125 SPH doesn't have a RED FILTER - GET ONE!!!!!! you will NEVER be happy with hours of green video - go here: http://www.urprofilters.com/ - they'll probably be able to fix ya up.

if the SHARP and $125 SPH don't fit.... find out what camera's DO fit it. most of those $125 SPH's fit SONY camera's - there are plenty available on eBay - a quick resource for the specs of camera's on eBay is to drop by http://www.epinions.com/ - what you'll be looking for is LOW LUX (it's dark down there!) the lower the better. anything higher than 4LUX is not great. i'm sure you'll soon get lots of responses on WHICH sony's are good for U/W shooting.... i just don't have any experience except with my PC100

if you ask santa real nice like there's a great (IMHO - since i own essentially the same combo, without the lights) combo on ebay right now:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7565761607&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Thanks much Meekal....

Anyone wanna give me some reasons to NOT pull the trigger on that Ebay deal? Besides its over my desired budget?

That Top Dawg mini II system looks pretty nice also. It accepts a wide variety of cameras. It is also in the $1700 range (less $300+ for camera).

BlueDolphin:
That Top Dawg mini II system looks pretty nice also. It accepts a wide variety of cameras. It is also in the $1700 range (less $300+ for camera).
Not sure what you're referring to here, but the Top Dawg miniII sells new for $899 at Backscatter.com

I was referring to the Top Dawg kit with lights.

Well..... I went ahead and purchased the below for $1500.00.. Let me know if you think this will be a nice rig. I have not received it yet.

If the camera floods I am screwed though as the housing was built to fit it.

Top of the line underwater video housing (Equinox Pro-Pak 8) and 3-CCD digital mini-DV prosumer JVC camcorder (Model GY-DV300). Includes customer fit Pelican Case 1620, 2 long-life batteries, dual charger and other accessories (red lens, wide angle lens, cables).

Equinox has an adaptor for the UK light Canons for an inexpensive light system until next Christmas :wink:

The above camera ALONE still retails for $1900-$2000, so I think I got a pretty good deal.

Let me know your thoughts.

WOW! - goes from asking about a HUGO and ends up getting a MERCEDES! schweet!!! i don't have experience with either, but form a quick glance, the JVC gets great marks (2.65lux!) and the 3ccd will certainly satisfy your "get decent results" - from what i can see the EQUINOX Pro-Pak 8 can fit numerous cameras, it's just the BASE that is camera specific.

N O W the fun starts! - do a forum search on WHITE BALANCE (WB) and read, read and then read some more... it's what makes ALL the difference.... i can only dream of WB on my PC100 rig and i've only had my GATES / Canon XL1 rig out a few times to do the WB dance and it makes a HUGE difference....

congrats and have fun! post your videos here soon and OFTEN!

Meekal,

Thanks for the thumbs up. Its always nice to hear that we sometimes make good/acceptable choices.

I was thinking I might as well really try to spend a little more and get something that will fit the need a bit longer.

Anyway..... thanks for the WB info.. I was wondering about that. Good to know that there is something that can make a noticeable difference by making some tweaks. I will read up on it.

You are right... it is the base that is customized mostly I guess. Although I am not sure how the buttons can be altered to work on other camera's?

I wondered how important a light is during day dives in approx. 35 ft of water that has approx 30 - 40 ft vis.? Is the light used for mostly close up shots during daylight?
I am trying to figure out how soon I will need the light set up.

BlueDolphin: where are you diving primarily? 30-40 foot visit? Is it fairly well lit...or kind of dark?

If you can manual white balance, then sometimes you can get away without lights during brightly lit days...from my experiences, I can shoot great footage w/o lights if I do manual WB and I am in clear waters (caribbean, etc.). However my experiences here in California are quite different. The dense dark water just doesnt work as well and I find that almost all the time my footage is significantly better when using my lights...and most of my california diving is in moderate depths (30-70feet).

As for distance, remember your lights will only be effective close up...beyond 4-5 feet, they are useless for the most part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom