Would love some advise!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can only advise you from a Queensland perspective (we are based in Cairns).

First you will need an Australian working visa (your one is fine) and no school here will employ someone without seeing them first. As Cairns is a main centre for diving we get so many instructors looking for work here it makes competition fierce.

You have to be in town, be persistent and be [prepared to wait. Some will give you sporadic work to fill in, or when they get busy and then you may get some regular work if a position arises. Peak season here now so it’s busy.

As a minimum you will need a workplace first aid course (Senior First Aid or Emergency First Response - first aid at work). Overseas ones are not accepted. If you do have EFR you can take the missing modules as bowlofpetunias says but it will basically be the same price as the full course.

You wil also need Oxygen Administration. Coxswains certificates or some form of marine licence is looked upon favourably as part of your position will be often using a dive tender.

As mentioned above language is useful, but depends on what you speak. Here the ones in demand are German, Japanese, Chinese and Korean. You can get business sponsorship with these ones.

Your insurance will be fine, and you just have to transfer your PADI details to Asia Pacific as this will be your Home Office whilst you work here. So make sure you do that or you will not be able to certify anyone here. (Remember if you work 6 months or more then you have to transfer to a new home office. Less than 6 months Asia Pacific will be your service office but Americas will still be your home office).

A lot cheaper than that! Wow.
Basically there is restricted and open. Restricted is having 91 days logged sea time and you apply. You can do a course if you really need it, but just buy the Small Ships Manual and read up. Do the oral exam at the Port Authority and you are away. It allows you to drive small vessel within 15nm (I think) from the coastline in a set area.
Open Coxswains you need 365 days logged and it’s more full on. Weeks course is advised but if you can study and are on a working boat you really don’t need it. This gives you a licence that doesn’t expire, to drive a 15m vessel in open water Australia wide.
Its been many years since I did my Class 5 so the legislation and curriculum may have changed somewhat but this is a guide.
As there are many dive professional here that need it the TAFE runs a lot of courses as well as private courses run, so cost is lower. But you do need an elements of ship board safety course which is a basic 5 day program which includes 2 days of first aid. If you have that it’s 3 days

my guess is that's the open? it's aimed at people who haven't been on a boat before (which isn't really me anyway) to get them from not having a boat licence to being able to skipper a boat.

cheers :)

Yes it must be. Its a bit scary that they charge that much, but I guess if you get a really good grounding and have the sea time to back it up, it's a fair price.

Back
Top Bottom