Would you dive Cuba if it opens for Americans??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jardines de la Reina, I'd love to dive there.

I'm also not optimistic about what a lot of Americans will do to Cuba, hope I'm wrong

that's where I'm headed from 7/14/16 thru 7/24 including 2 days touring Havana and vicinity. i'll make sure I post a trip report/with pics,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

It is purely my own bias, and I understand if not everybody agrees, but I won't be going to Cuba until there is a regime change that recognizes basic human rights for the Cuban people. I know I am inviting all of the non-Americans to come in and tell me how awesome Cuba's government is and how their excellent health care system more than makes up for all the food and good shortages and mandatory miniscule salaries and lack of basic freedoms like free speech against the government. But I just feel like the Castro brothers have made a fortune and lived a very good life while they made their people so miserable that thousands believed that climbing into an overloaded boat with no motor and trying to sail to Honduras during hurricane season was better than spending one more day on the island. I won't be going to Cuba and allowing my money to have a role in perpetuating that government. I do hope that the presence of more American money coming in fuels a black market beyond the control of the government, and that the freedoms necessary to operate that growing economy spawns a new revolution among the people of Cuba towards a more democratic government...but I doubt it will happen until the Castro brothers are dead.

It is purely my own bias, and I understand if not everybody agrees, but I won't be going to Cuba until there is a regime change that recognizes basic human rights for the Cuban people. I know I am inviting all of the non-Americans to come in and tell me how awesome Cuba's government is and how their excellent health care system more than makes up for all the food and good shortages and mandatory miniscule salaries and lack of basic freedoms like free speech against the government. But I just feel like the Castro brothers have made a fortune and lived a very good life while they made their people so miserable that thousands believed that climbing into an overloaded boat with no motor and trying to sail to Honduras during hurricane season was better than spending one more day on the island. I won't be going to Cuba and allowing my money to have a role in perpetuating that government. I do hope that the presence of more American money coming in fuels a black market beyond the control of the government, and that the freedoms necessary to operate that growing economy spawns a new revolution among the people of Cuba towards a more democratic government...but I doubt it will happen until the Castro brothers are dead.

Well based on those ideals I guess I can't dive in the US anymore......stones=glass houses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reluctance to travel to Cuba by some Americans who bleat about freedom and an oppressive Federal Government makes me laugh. Cuba is a great deal freer than some countries to which many divers travel with hardly a second thought.

Talk about not thinking for yourself, and the assertion that ignorance is bliss. Trust the government to tell me what is ethical? Are you serious? Cuba has been attacked by terrorists for decades, but we still insisted on classifying Cuba as a terrorist nation, even as they were building hospitals and supplying physicians to poor nations.

The terrorists were headquartered in Miami, so maybe that had something to do with it.

I'd go just for the music and the culture.

Would love to travel there. Maybe a boat trip from Miami, do a little diving, a little fishing. Check out the old cars and motorcycles I have heard about.

If you want to make a political statement, scoop up some dog poop and Fedex it to the Castro's. Don't take it out on the people of Cuba.

Definitely not! It was never on our Caribbean radar before "mericans" could go there. It has just slipped down a few notches...

How right you are! Only some Americans were forbidden to go to Cuba.

Canadians, Mexicans, and most other Americans were always free to go. My first trip there was while spending a semester sabbatical in Jamaica. I left for Cuba from Jamaica and returned to Jamaica, a short puddle jumper flight with lots of Jamaican women, entrepreneurs who were buying handicraft type stuff. Certainly, Jamaicans are Americans. Canadians too. Just look at a map.

I had a few contacts to look up in Cuba, names I'd gotten from the many doctors treating people for free in rural Jamaica back then. I never met any doctors from the US there, treating people for free or otherwise. I did know a dentist who had a nice house on Negril beach in the 70s, and he did a little dental work for his staff.

Back
Top Bottom