Would you dive with a non-DIR diver?

Would you dive directly with a non-DIR diver?

• Not without a significant predive briefing

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Yes if I or someone I trusted vouched for his skills

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • Yes, but only in rec diving conditions

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 7.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure the more reasonable DIR divers recognize how this thread/poll perpetuates anti-DIR sentiment.

Relating to a previous post, if DIR divers are free to post their views in non-DIR specific forums then they can expect anti-DIR divers to post here as well.

--Matt

Matt,

On the contrary -- look at how many DIR divers have agree that they would dive with someone outside of the DIR realm. I think that, more than anything, this poll helps others see past the stereotypes....

matt_unique:
I'm sure the more reasonable DIR divers recognize how this thread/poll perpetuates anti-DIR sentiment.
Actually, I think the more reasonable DIR divers get tired of posting their reasonable views, only to have them ignored by those who insist on holding to their preconceived notions, despite what is being said.

matt_unique:
Relating to a previous post, if DIR divers are free to post their views in non-DIR specific forums then they can expect anti-DIR divers to post here as well.
... and you can reasonably expect those anti-DIR posts to be removed.

Please read the rules for posting in this forum ... you can find them in the sticky by NetDoc in the first thread of the forum.

I will remind you that this is a private board ... and that you are a "guest" here. Posting on this board is not a right ... it's a privilege extended to you by the board owners.

You don't get to pick and choose which rules you will observe.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

and I won't dive with just anyone...

Selectivity isn't reserved for only GUE-trained divers.

I dive solo all the time so that would indicate my buddy is not DIR :wink:

On my first dive with DIR divers some years ago (Uncle Pug & NWGratefulDiver), I was dressed like Father Christmas, but nobody said a word about it. Nobody sneered at my snorkel or the brick I dragged or the flutter kick I silted up the site with. But by the end of the dive, it was quite evident that I was the one who should be asking some questions. Snowbear (pre-DIR) was on that dive, too.

I've read about them, but so far I've never met a DIRer that wouldn't dive with someone like I was.

I've read about them, but so far I've never met a DIDer that pushes their diving beliefs down your throat.

I've read about them, but my DIRF instructor did not discourage us from diving with non-DIR divers.

Thank goodness.

I've read about them -and met them - people who insult, sneer and put down people who enjoy diving the DIR style.

Too bad. It gives non-DIRers a bad name.

H2Andy:
i don't think of myself as a "DIR" diver.

Well, sure. I mean, sheesh! Check out your avatar. Snorkle...... :D

Please read the guidelines for posting in the DIR forum, for your convenience I have copied them here. If you come back and your posts are gone from this thread the following explains why. Thank you for your cooperation.
Ber

Just a few guidelines...
1) No trolling! This is not the place for agency bashing! This is especially not a place for bashing DIR divers. Refer to What is Trolling for any questions about what constitutes a troll.
2) This forum is for a free exchange of ideas concerning DIR, but it is NOT intended to limit any mention of DIR to only this forum. There are many things pertaining to DIR that will be discussed in other forums as well.
3) All the rules of the board still apply here. You don't get to harrass or call people names. Civility should rule.
4) Most of all, have fun and learn something at the same time. Read our Mission statement and TOS for clarification.
5) This forum is NOT intended to replace or reduce the need for training with a qualified instructor. You might get more out of this forum if you have at least completed a DIR-f course.
6) The answers in this forum are member's best attempts to answer questions within, and according the DIR diving philosophy. If you wish to give a non-DIR answer, please do not post it in this forum. If you do not wish your question to be limited to DIR answer, please ask it in another applicable forum.

Notice: the DIR forum is a No Trolling Zone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who starts a trolling thread in the DIR forum will earn a 5-day suspension from the DIR forum... or from Scuba Board altogether as the case may be.

If you need a definition of *trolling* read Timothy Cambell's excellent article concerning Internet Trolls.

Absolutely without a doubt, as long as I feel they are a safe diver.

I'm not doing technical dives yet, so that isn't a stumbling block.

Although I've taken Fundies, I'm nowhere near DIR, so I'd guess it's a moot point.

A safe diver is a safe diver, regardless of agency. An unsafe diver is an unsafe diver, regardless of agency.

I have never met a "group" of divers more willing to help others become better divers than the DIR crowd. I took DIR/F because I dove with DIR divers for years and just liked what I saw. I wanted to get to that level of communication and control. I was never guilted or jeered into feeling that my equipment or skills sucked. We dove and had fun. But it became obvious to me that I had a lot of things I needed to work on.

Here in the PNW, they hold weekly "tweek" dives where DIR trained divers get together to work on their skills or just go dive. The cool part is that it's posted on local boards that and open to anyone; new divers, someone interested in DIR that wants to learn more, or someone who just has a some skills they would like help with. The first time I went I was expecting a preachy DIR indoctronation. It was nothing of the sort. It was just a great group of people that get together to dive, and may do some planned skills to practice or improve where they are at. It was hosted by a local dive instructor (not GUE instructor), who welcomed me with open arms. She introduced me to other divers, discussed where I was at in my diving and what I wanted to do, and then she matched up divers and created a dive plan to accomodate eveyone's needs. She looked over my equipment to see what I had and where it was located (no negative comments) and then went through her configuration with me (just like every other agency teaches you). We had a great dive and over the next few weeks, the main issues they helped me work on were weighting, trim, and buoyancy. Issues any diver regardless of agency can work on. I can't recall GUE, DIR, or any training agencies ever being mentioned. I still dive with these people every week.

I love UP's analogy. Passing DIR/F doesn't mean anything more than I'm now qualified to sign up for English 101. It doesn't mean I was a terrible or dangerous diver before. But I know I'm a better diver than I was and am really enjoying the more I learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom