Would you dive with an op that promoted feeding rays?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Mr Canuck and I are planning a scuba holiday in June - the trip we had to postpone last year due to a family emergency. Last year, I had selected a dive op because of positive reviews with BSAC Travel Club and its status as a 5* PADI Resort shop and Instructor Development Centre. When I went back to its website to prepare for this year's trip, I noticed that it was promoting dives where divers are given the opportunity to feed stingrays. There are several photos that, although it's a little hard to tell exactly what is going on, seem to involve physical contact between divers and rays (I'm not sure who touched who first; I know some rays are curious and initiate contact). But it seems contrary to everything we've been taught regarding respect for the underwater environment.

What would you do? Would you dive with this op because of its otherwise good reputation? I'm afraid that, given the location where we are diving, the other operations aren't necessarily going to be any more scrupulous - this might be the best of the group. I'm planning to ask them why they promote this activity and, if so, why? If they say yes they do and they don't see the problem, what would you do in the circumstances?:confused:

I don't plan trips with charters that feed anything (feeding divers during surface intervals is an exception).

Positive reviews is a good reason to select an operator. The 5 star status is virtually meaningless.

Have you ever had a bird feeder? Same thing.

come on rays gotta eat too!

There are a wide range of opinions, and except for the most extreme, all are at least somewhat logical.

At one end of the spectrum are the (fortunately pretty rare now) folks who see no problem with raping the seas and the environment.

At the other end are those who advocate no impact. No impact is difficult unless one doesn’t eat seafood, nor eat vegetables whose fertilizer could wash into the sea, (nor or course, scuba dive). But I think we lost that battle many years ago when the human population started exploding.

Another aspect you might consider is personal risk. The recently much-publicized death of Steve Irwin was, as far as I can tell, an aberration. Note that when people feed rays in public aquariums, they have usually been de-barbed. (The rays, not the people.) The most common risk is a ray giving you a “hickey” by attempting to ingest your flesh by mistake. When I was being given one by a ray I didn’t pull away soon enough, and now carry a small scar.

Years ago I took food underwater with me for fish-feeding a few times, but stopped that when I discovered the color of my blood at depth.

You need to determine your own comfort level. I have dived with operators who feed rays and others who feed sharks. I enjoyed the dives and partly accept the rationale that it raises our awareness of these creatures. It certainly seems to me to be hugely less destructive than commercial fishing. And yes, I eat some seafood.

I would not do this kind of dive.
If it is the only operator or by far the best, I would dive with them but for other dive and I would tell them that i do not support feeding.

Walter:
The 5 star status is virtually meaningless.

This statement is an absolute TRUTH!

Yet, I would go out with an op that would promote the feedings of rays, as I have to admit I've done it thrice at StingRay City. A number of years ago I also took a shark dive with UNEXO where they were feeding sharks. I have also been on several liveaboard trips that sharks were enticed, although my decision to dive with these liveaboards was certainly not based on them feeding anything.
And, yes I have numerous bird feeders in my yard. I will try to destroy any cats also that decide to eat the birds that visit my feeders. I do not feed cats, I do not feed dogs, I do not feed horses or {cows (although I've eaten them)}
I enjoy the underwater world to a large extent and have had interaction from whales in the Coral Sea, how could one not love all those creatures?

Actually, I don't pay attention to 5* status, but I do look favourably on dive ops that are also IDCs.

From what I can tell, all the recommended dive shops in the area we will be visiting feed the stingrays (and promote it).

There are, clearly, different views on whether feeding the fish (deliberately, as opposed to inadvertently due to rough seas :)) is appropriate behaviour. The tough question for Mr Canuck and me is that, since we belong to the group who think it is wrong, do we forego diving in order to act consistently with our values?

Back
Top Bottom