Would you dive with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. yes, but first you'd have to convince me a quarry dive is worth my time
2. yes, sounds fun
3. no, I probably would not do that dive with any insta-buddy, I'd rather pay $50 extra for a guided dive, just because I don't want to take the chance that I become the insta-buddy's guide on that type dive

Last edited:
1. Yes. Nice and warm! Might even go wet myself... (Thermocline here is between 4 and 8 °C - 40-46°F)
2. Probably Yes, depending on surface crew and set up
3. Define rough seas and current - worst I have done was 6ft seas and if the current is too much after entry, it forearms crossed and both thumbs up.

Counter question:

Would you dive with me on the following:

1. FW Night dive, sandy slope, maximum depth 18m.
2. FW Night dive, drop off (5m to a sandy slope at 30m, where there are good photo opportunities due to caverns), water temperature 4°C surface. No deco, no current. max 45 min dive time total, turning at half tank or 20 minutes to return at 10m.
3. SW wreck dive (WW2 Sub), 38m maximum depth, water temperature ~28°C, no current, no penetration, bottom time 20 minutes, free ascend with the DM on the SMB.

In either case, you may opt to borrow a steel 15L tank (~120cf air).

I'm certified AOWD, and have 181 dives, mostly lakes. I dive in a dry suit. Weight about 98kg and nearer Buddha than Baywath, but I can breathhold swim nearly 50m, dive 7,5m and 1m15s time (with fins and not at the same time - I ain't superman!)

So... when are you going to visit Germany?

Gerbs

One: Yes, Although Quarry Diving doesn't really interest me ( not a big thing here above the 49th parallel), I can see it as an opportunity to feel each others abilities out if we were diving together for the first time.
Two: Maybe- I love Drift Diving, almost as much as Wreck Diving.If we were on the same page as far as what we were trying to get out of the dive, made a good dive plan and stuck together, and of course if you were comfortable with it- I'd be game.

Three: Yes- With the understanding of sticking to the Dive Plan and that anyone can "call" the dive- no questions asked. ( the way it should be). Although you may seem 'green" to others I sense a level head about you and all the "Training" in the world can't touch that.

One: Not my kind of dive, I would not likely seek it out. If I found myself diving in this environment, I would buddy with you. This is the environment you're most familiar with.

Two: Sounds like very easy diving conditions. I would generally have no problem diving with you here, I'm very familiar with dives of this description.

Three: I'm very familiar with this dive, you're not. The Spiegel Grove is a very easy dive under good conditions of little current and good visibility. The Spiegel and the Duane can be very challenging under other conditions. I've had my most frightening dives with assigned buddies on these sites. In addition, I always swim through the wreck and know it quite well. I would not buddy with you on this dive by choice.

Good diving, Craig

Pretty cool thread with lots of interesting responses. My impression of your honesty and your skills is very encouraging. I too feel that I have a lot to learn but what I do know I know well. I would more than likly buddy up with you and dives 1 and two but my concern on dive three is your "average" buddy skills. I am not really sure what that means. To me a good buddy shares my excitment level and conserative approach which I think we do. What I really like to know is that you are looking out for me as much as I am looking out for you. I dove the Speigel in exactly the conditions you describe and just as others have noted a lot of things you never imagined could happen do happen. I want my buddy to know that I'm in trouble if my mask gets blown off my face cause if your mask gets blown off I'll be right there. Cool thread

Greetings Sabbath999 I like your thread very much because it reveals some very good information about insta-buddies. Well to answer your questions:
1. Absolutely pending dive planning and a little get to know each other time.
2. Absolutely" same as above with addition of surface markers and safety gear."
3.I would decline this dive because of the conditions and would recommend to do a different not so challenging dive with you instead.
I enjoy diving with new people and like to be a good buddy as long as the dive is safe and within both of our skill and comfort levels. If it is not I will decline the dive and offer another dive option or site. I try to live by this code. I will do a less challenging dive even if I am up to it if my buddy is not comfortable. I have had some very cool dives and made some good friends doing just that. So good luck all and dive safe!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

so are you getting the answers you expected??

I would dive with you progressively from dive 1 on, evaluating each dive before going on to the next. This is a little unfair because I dive the same quarry as you and have observed your practices first hand. Based on what I have seen I have dove with a lot worse buddies. for me my main focus of each dive is two fold:1. self rescue skills are first priority because I have been abandoned by buddies while experiencing problems and 2. how well could I assist you if you have problems. If I am comfortable with these items I can enjoy the dive.

Ya, you've seen me there recently (as in we were using the same shelter today). Hope you had some fun with your new doubles.

I was hoping to catch you all down there while we both were on our last dive of the day, since I was shooting my new video camera. Ah well, there's always next week.

GBray's one of those guys we see about every weekend at the ole diving hole... I have never dove with him, but I dove with the guy who was his buddy today a couple of times, once on a twilight dive on the fourth of July.

He came over to me today and said "Yes, I will be your buddy" with a chuckle... I hadn't yet seen his post (have been traveling... not surprisingly, to the diving hole).

so are you getting the answers you expected??

Pretty much.

I am a bit surprised by a couple of things...

I did expect some of the DIR folks to say no because I am not DIR (fair enough, I am not trained or equipped like they expect a buddy to be) and I did expect several "I just don't instabuddy" reactions.

I am also surprised as to how many people simply won't dive in a quarry. Fair enough as well, since diving is supposed to be fun and if you don't enjoy quarry waters, why would you dive in them?

Actually, I must reverse the question. Would you dive with me.

It's all about planning and comfort.

I know there will be a whole bunch of people who will jump in on this, but there ae just too many variables that have been left out.

I soloed after six hours of dual instruction in a helicopter. Was that sufficient????

Well, I'm still alive . . . .

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom