Would you dive with someone who wouldn't share air if you were OOA?

Would you dive with someone that explicitly refused to share air in an emergency?

• Yes

Votes: 56 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 472 89.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if you were diving solo and your buddy said it? :)

:rofl3:
That would happen if someone with a multiple personality disorder went diving solo.:rofl3:

Of course I would dive with someone like that. Drowning or suffering an excruciating case of the bends sounds like a lot of fun

I tell people this: I will be responsible and mature and make sure to always have enough air to get both of us out alive. But if you aren't that responsible or mature and need to use some of mine, you are paying for my next fill, and I reserve the right to give you grief over it for the next two years.

Fair enough, right? :)

sigh... if your diving solo your only 'buddy' is yourself, hence you'd be denying yourself your own gas. If your buddy wouldn't share air in an OOG emergency you may as well be diving solo, and then it's just a matter if deciding if you'll use your own gas. Is your mind blown yet?

If another diver stated that "His air is his and if you run out, you're on your own", would you dive with that person?

Terry

Yes, because I have a redundant air source................ There is an established mindset in SCUBA that your 'buddy' is the most dangerous creature you will encounter, and that if he comes to you appearing panicky, he should be be kept out of grasping range. He may drown you both.................. Don't get suckered by the 'buddy' system of life support. When push comes to shove, your 'buddy' may choose to use his Jet Fins to stay away from you.................... You are truly diving alone..... SCUBA is life support..... Plan ahead....Enjoy your dives with friends......Rely upon redundancy.

Wish you'd set the poll so we could see who votes yes just to cause problems, as no one else would.

Now that 500 psi thread is closed for cleaning, I guess the argument will spill over here...

I stayed out of that thread. Guy couldn't be more wrong. I think I got as far as being taught in lifeguarding to take a drowning victim down until they submit....what incredible tripe....sure, drown them then save them. Have fun in prison. I don't care how much experience you have or how long you've been diving (even if your statements don't support it) once you start spouting utter crap you've discredited yourself to me and are of no further value.

Well, something good did come of the thread....a new person made my ignore list.

No, I wouldn't dive with someone like that and I would vocally discourage everyone in the group to do so as well. BUT, if he came to me OOA, I would share and we would ascend together.

What if you were diving solo and your buddy said it? :)

Always remember, nothing is etched in stone, there are exceptions to EVERY rule......:)

I would hope to never need to share air, but I wouldn't dive with someone who told me they wouldn't share in case of emergency. That would indicate to me that they have a pretty different philosophy than I do regarding diving in general and what being a buddy means, so chances are we'd be pretty incompatible buddys in general anyway.

Back
Top Bottom