Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if that was what he really wanted to do that I would be behind him. I am.

Very curious, what is his take? Have you learned anything from him?

For you, what does be behind him mean?

catherine96821:
I believe good men that are willing to put it all on the line, do change the world, for many of us. It gives many of us faith, that good can prevail.---even if only by intention, at times.

Some of us believe, some of you think we are naive. You should at least ponder for a second that we might possibly be aware of something bigger than one man's body "feeding the worms".

Sort of like--

Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it. ...Ghandi

Some people get that, some people don't.

Good men and bad have been putting it all on the line since the very beginning of humanity. The need people have to do harm to one another is a failing and not something to be proud of. I have faith that future generations will continue to do the same. there is and always some noble cause. Good will prevail? What is good? I'm sure that Hitler thought he was good. How many died for the glory of the Roman empire. A lot of difference that makes now, huh?

Everytime a couple of little old whimps that happen to hold public office can't figure things out and decide that it's time for another war, the young strong men and women that would actually have to go fight that war, need to just tell them to go suck an egg. If they don't, may of them will end up feeding worms. This "something bigger than one man's body "feeding the worms"." thing you talk about is a private thing between the folks that arrange these wars. Whatever it is, we aren't ever going to be privy to it. It's money passed under the table here, a couple of extra votes there and lots of really big bucks for all kinds of businesses.

What is big is the business of war. War is BIG business. That is one reason why we aren't going to stop having them. You want to know what's really going on? Follow the money.

As long as our young people believe that they are dying for some "higher cause", they will continue to allow themselves to be lead to the slaughter. Some people make lots of money on it while some of us provide the money and other feed the worms and push up the flowers.

catherine96821:
Very curious, what is his take? Have you learned anything from him?

First off, I think he has learned an awful lot since he became a Marine. I don't believe he is near as allusioned as he was before. I don't want to try to speak for him but my impression is that his motivation now is to fufil his obligation to his fellow marines that he willingly took on. I think he gets some satisfaction from his belief that him being there serves as protection for some people who might not otherwise be protected.
For you, what does be behind him mean?

Good question. I'm his father and I love him. Beyond that, I guess it means that now that he has made his decision I will do what little I can to be supportive. How much can I do? I sent him some stuff he said he needed. I flew to California to see him the week before they shipped him out. Once a child reaches a certain age and makes some decisions, I guess all you can really do is to be there and let them know that you are.

"As far as I'm concerned my kids belong behind me in a fight. Let the terrorists come here if they think it's a good idea...I have never signed the Geneva Convention or any other such nonsense. When I fight I don't recognize any rules."

Sorry to requote but that very well could have come from Pres Bush yet you dare to question his actions? Im not sure exactly how to word this....Pres Bush has done what he saw as nessary to protect us, thats his job. We have not been touched since 9/11.
Thank you Sir!

Wildcard:
"As far as I'm concerned my kids belong behind me in a fight. Let the terrorists come here if they think it's a good idea...I have never signed the Geneva Convention or any other such nonsense. When I fight I don't recognize any rules."

Then why are you not there? Want job as security in Iraq? I can hook you up. Put your money where your mouth is.

You can hook me up so that I can protect my son? I don't want a job as security for Iraq but I'll stand in front of my son and provide security for him any day and I can leave now! Where do I sign?

Hey, maybe our brave President will go stand there with me. I'll take a bullet to save my son. Do you think he would?

I use my real name on thois board. My cell is 765 412-6295. If you can set this up, let me hear from you.

He did sign up and did his service....The enlistment age has gone up for reservists, maybe you can do that? Or you can sit here and bash that which you dont agree with nor understand.
So let me get this straight? You would prefer that the insurgents come here so you can stand up?

I would support my children in whatever endeavor they chose to pursue excluding anything that destroys property or harms life.

For example, I know first-hand how dangerous skydiving can be. If my son came to me wanting to skydive, I would encourage him to research the topic and make his own choice. That's what being an adult is about...making your OWN choices.

Enlisting in the military is no different. Yes, there are risks invloved. But ultimately, it's our children's choice!

There is nothing wrong with serving in the military. However, anyone who does enlist should do so with eyes open and find out what they're really getting involved in. I know and have known those that have served in all the conflicts from WWII to the present one. I have relatives, friends and acquaintances who have enlisted out of high school to those who are graduates of the military academies. None of them regret their service but all feel the military is not for everyone.

When I feel our government is misusing our military it greatly upsets me and I hope and pray for the safety of all our troops. There are other countries besides Iraq that arguments for invasion could be made and these arguments would be as good as the current justifications for Iraq. Should we invade? I don't think so and not just because we don't have the current necessary troops. Are some of these countries possible threats? They could be.

As I stated in a much earlier post I would not encourage my older soon to enlist at this time. He has told me he has no interest in going into the military and due to some physical problems he probably wouldn't be able to pass the physical requirements. If he did want to go into the military I would support him and would hope he could pass the physical requirements.

If the insurgents did come here I think they would be in for a surprise. I believe most Americans would stand up. Americans of every type and political persuasion. Just look at United 93 and the shoe bomber flight when the passengers fought back.

Tigerman:
Maybe because Im one of the people who actually did put my money where my mouth is and did infact go to war?

We all put up our money. Soldiers put up their health and thier lives. Some of the rest of us put up our sons, daughters, wives or husbands.

I'm sure lots of you here are parents. Maybe not everyone who is a parent looks at it exactly as I do but we parents have put up. We fed them, took care about them when they were sick, worried about everything from them crossing the street to school, drugs, sex and now war. Now one of my children is where people are actively working to bring about his death.

I don't owe anybody (other than my children) anything. Just as my son willingly accepted a responsibility to his fellow Marines, I willingly accepted a responsibility to the children that I brought into this world. I really don't care if I get shot at but shoot at my kids or cause my kids to be shot at and we just can't be friends any longer. I'm getting old and used up. I'm not afraid to die (we all die) but I am afraid of having to burry my children. My children are still new and have things to look forward to if some scarecrow stupid politician doesn't get them killed. My job...my only job, is to do what I can to see that they get their chance. I have, and will continue to do that job as best I know how.

My children are still new and have things to look forward to if some scarecrow stupid politician doesn't get them killed.

You could become a politician then.

I'm not buying this "everybody sucks" outlook.

Another practical angle for parents who don't want their sons to enlist...is that you can convince them to go the commissioned officer route, to have a bigger voice in how things get executed. To say they have no say, no impact is not true. Just the other day, a young kid popped a drug test after pain on leave and taking another's Rx. So...he was given some kind of dishonorable discharge,(zero tolerance) for after his deployment in combat. An officer found out and told his superior, in front of many very superior "Oh, he is not good enough to stay in the Marine Corps, but he is good enough to die for his country?" ...and things got amended. So...tell your sons to serve where they think they can effect change and have an impact, wherever that is. Perhaps being a good leader, and an advocate for your men is part of the solution.

Being jaded is just a form of rolling over, a weak excuse to not engage conflict. Cynicism is cowardly, that is too easy.

Wildcard, the goal is to not get the thread closed, keep your eye on the ball, friend. You could work on channeling your rage too.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom