Would you Encourage or Discourage your Child to Enlist?

If Your Child Wanted to Enlist, Would You ...

• Encourage the idea

Votes: 44 26.3%
  • Discourage the idea

Votes: 62 37.1%
  • Tell them it's up to them

Votes: 61 36.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mase:
Who are the mindless sheep? Those that follow the Government, no matter what they say, no matter what they tell us, no matter how obvious it is misinformation or those that dare to think for themselves?
I get my info first hand, and you?
My second family growing up has a grandson who just enlisted in the Army (dad is gone and mom died 14 years ago so these are his parents). They love to spew media "facts". I stop them cold with the truth first hand every time and try to explain to them what is realy going on. He was going off about the Army having some sort of bomb detectors on base. "why did they not use them outside the wire?". I had to explain that they did. You hear about the one or two that get killed by missed IEDs but not the dozens to hundreds that are found and destroyed every day...He realy had no reply to that except to say, "well, the media never gets anything right"...So why do you people keep believing them?:shakehead
Im very proud of this young man for following his beliefs and not cowing to his familys wishes to stay home and pretend that the whole world is warm and fuzzy.

My son is 23 and been in the AirForce now for 5 years. Next year is his last that he owes. And as best to my knowledge he will reup. When he was getting close to high school graduation I asked him what is plans were he said he wanted to enlist.

hey, no offense, but if he's not a pilot or crew, the AirForce is a great place to be

likewise, Navy

Army and Marines a lot less so

sorry, i'm being realistic (yes, there are risks... but a lot less risks ... i am aware of the high risk of working on an aircraft carrier deck ... but still ... gotta be better than someone lobbing mortars at you, right?)

scubafool:
Andy, your reason for starting this thread was WHAT?

i saw the article. i figured i'd start a thread about it.

it's interesting that only a small minority will actually encourage their children to enlist, and that most parents would say don't do it or it's up to you.

also, it's been interesting to hear people's rationale for why they would or would not do x y or z

H2Andy:
i saw the article. i figured i'd start a thread about it.

it's interesting that only a small minority will actually encourage their children to enlist, and that most parents would say don't do it or it's up to you.

also, it's been interesting to hear people's rationale for why they would or would not do x y or z
Why do you find any of that interesting? Did you expect anything different? The way you worded it it could have had only one outcome.

ultimately it's up to my child and i would respect and accept his decision, however, as a parent i would discourage him. i have a 3 month old now and in 18 years (or whatever the draft age is) i have no idea of the situation in the world. i don't think the world will change to a better place, so i would definitely discourage him. parents are not supposed to bury their kids.

They are not suposed to teach them to be cowards either. Teach them to stand up and do what is right, in there hearts and minds.

My youngest is seventeen so the time is coming that he will need to sift through the crap that the recruiters are feeding him already.
If he does the proper research and forms his own opinion from the information he finds, and truely feels that his active participation and possible death can make a difference in whatever war, I can live with the decision he makes. Hopefully, he can!
I do hope that he doesn't consider the information he hears from recruiters to be anything but bs. He is a smart young man and doesn't get duped easily so.....recruiters of the world.....tell it straight up !
If he asks for my opinion as a father as to whether or not to enlist, I will tell him that I feel that he can make a much larger contribution to society in other ways than
to play the game of, "How many did we kill today?"
My daughter just returned from working with the Peace Corps....Education may be more powerful than any bullet.

i already told my daughter I want to join the military. She can continue her education and get discipline along with having a decent paying job. I really hate it when people say "we shouldn't be sending our troops to any war"-- hello-- that is the militaries job, that is what they train for. People are not pulled off the streets and sent some where. I was in Desert Storm. Anyways- i have been encouraging her to join. I want her to go in as an officer. I come from a military family.

Melissa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom