Would You or Wouldn't You?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okc

Reaction score
First, a bit of background. Me, my wife, and our 13 year old son are considering taking up diving. We are avid boaters who own a cabin at a nearby lake at which we spend a good deal of time. We all love the water and are quite comfortable in and around it. Our boating equipment is all high-grade, as we prefer to buy once rather than having to replace substandard gear, although we are not opposed to, and often do buy well researched used gear that we maintain regularly.

Our son is a black belt in Tae Kwon Do and a pretty good student so he has demonstrated that he can, at times and when properly motivated, exercise some self-discipline. He is well-versed in on-the-water safety and complies with the rules, (probably as much out of habit than any innate desire to conform, as he has been around the water most of his life). He is however, a 13-year-old. Enough said.

I am a practicing CPA so our ability to travel from January through April is non-existent, and of course we have the constraints placed on us by our son's school schedule. As a result, we would likely be once or twice a year "vacation" divers. We have no interest in diving local lakes. Our idea would be to combine vacation trips to tropical locations with our diving. We live in Oklahoma, so travel to these vacation spots is not overly expensive.

None of us have any particular desire for diving to great depths. We are aware that our skills would be very basic and we would only be willing to dive in locations and under conditions that were within our skill limits. We would probably buy basic gear and regulators, but rent the rest. Bad idea if one used a reputable operator? In other words, we're looking to have fun and enjoy some of nature's beauty, not to set any records or rack up bragging rights.

It stands to reason that in a sport like this, more experience is better than less. We could and would spend time in local area pools refreshing air skills, but I realize this is no substitute for open water dives.

So the question I have for you experienced divers is this. Would You Or Wouldn't You? Given that our diving would be limited to locations and conditions appropriate for a novice, are there sufficient places in Cozumel for example that would be suitable for us? Is it difficult to find operators that could accommodate us and place us with like-minded divers (small groups would be preferable)? Safety issues given our experience levels? In short, is it worth it?

I'd value the opinion of experienced divers. I know there will be some of you that take the approach that “if you can't do it regularly, don't do it at all”. Don't hold back. Blaze away!

I'll just say that you sound from your post that you understand what would be required of an infrequent diver to stay safe

Operators .. ask them what kind of dives they do for new divers

If you have to start somewhere, nothing like the warm clear water of the Caribbean to start out.
The less gear needed the easier the diving can be. Go for it!

..and welcome to :sblogo:

I believe, from what I've read, that the vast majority of divers fall into the category you describe. If you only dive a couple of times a year, it's probably not worth buying a lot of equipment, and you should consider a refresher session with a local DM or instructor before each trip.

BUT . . . you may find that you like diving more than you think, and that some more local (eg. Gulf) trips get planned, too :)

Very true, once you get bit by the scuba bug, you may become a frequent diver over time.

When it comes to scuba, I'd caution about saying "never". If you get bit by the scuba bug and the local lake/river/quarry is all you've got then you'd be blowing bubbles at those places too.

But I agree with others. If you're going to dive once or twice a year during vacation, then it's a waste of money to buy gears that you're not going to use often. Just rent from the dive resort and hire a DM as your personal entourage.

But if you were to be bitten by the scuba bug, then it's going to be a totally different story.

Before I started diving, people poopoo California water for its lack of visibility and the cold water. Nowadays, I wouldn't trade it for Fiji or Cozumel or whatever.

I even learned to enjoy quarry and lake diving. Each place has its own charms.

I do caution having the whole family taking the class together and possibly even diving together. Not that it can't be done, but the parents; husband especially, need to understand that they need to dive their own dive and be good buddies to each other instead of mother henning. Mother henning is BAD!!! Especially when the mother henner has zero experience like the rest of the flock.

I'm assuming there is an Open Water training class in there somewhere...

There are many thousands of 'resort' divers and resorts stay in business by catering to their needs. In fact, I suspect that the number of 'resort' divers outnumbers the 'regular' divers by at least an order of magnitude. As you wander around this board, look at the threads bemoaning the downgrading of standards over the years. This is a direct result of 'resort' divers not needing (or wanting) to pursue a more rigorous program. Look at the gear - particularly BC's. Anything with integrated weights is really intended for warm water diving. Even if the BC could carry enough weight for cold water diving, the rig would be so heavy it would be impossible to lift (well, with my back...).

The idea of a periodic refresher session in a pool is the right answer. In fact, some shops offer a 'refresher' program that usually costs about $50. I'm not sure what is involved that couldn't be done without the $50 but so be it. There will be pool sessions with your OW class. Look into how to get future use of the pool.

There is no reason your 13 YO can not get certified. My 10 YO grandson was certified last November. There are some restrictions on Junior Open Water divers. First, they are limited to 40 feet rather than 60 feet for adult Open Water divers. Second, they can only dive with certified parents/guardians or dive professionals (Dive Masters or Instructors). There are no Scuba Police to enforce these restrictions but they are quite reasonable. Most of the colorful stuff will be in shallow water simply because color gets filtered out as you go deeper. I always liked dives in the 40 foot area. Your air lasts longer, the colors are better and the maximum no-decompression limit (NDL) is far longer than the air will last.

I have heard that there are some very advanced dives in Cozumel. Deep, penetrating, drift, etc. But I suspect there are beach dives that are much more sedate. You just need to call a couple of the resorts or dive shops in the area. There is also a forum here about Travel & Dive Clubs including one for Cozumel. The very first thread (today) has to do with shore diving from Scuba Club Cozumel. There is also a 'sticky' of FAQs. Cozumel - ScubaBoard

Absolutely you should do it!

Richard

Warning!: Scuba diving is addictive! But oh, what an addiction to have! Go for it! Be prepared to get addicted, though. Caribbean diving in the off-season (our summer) is just as nice as in high season and often considerably cheaper.

You might try diving in the Bahamas, Curaçao, or Bonaire. There are plenty of easy dives in all three locations.

Enjoy, and best wishes.

I'm with Richard, definitely, absolutely do it!!
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain even if it's a few times a year. Diving is an experience that few get to experience or even think of doing, but one of the most incredible and rewarding activities. Just the fact that you thought about it and went as far as seeking out this board and posting about it tells me you are very interested and should proceed.

Back
Top Bottom