would you put a inexperienced diver on this dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would not hesistate to name who is taking this person on this dive. People need to be aware that this butt head is out there. It would be a public service to the community at large to out and embarrass this idiot. Not doing it is coming pretty close to giving your blessing.

Last edited:
If this person is insisting on doing the dive in spite of the expressed concerns. I would also tell them that I would not do the dive or be on the boat when the dive occurs. I would tell that I would book off the dive because I would feel getting in the water anywhere near this potential disaster is too close to supporting the dive.

I would tell them I would not like to be the one to have to call their family to advise them the diver is in the chamber or worse still never coming home! I had a scuba instructor tell me once. "I refused to certify diver X because I do not want to appear in Coroner's Court when something goes wrong ... and it will!"

I don't think refusing to name the people involved implies giving your blessing after all you have done. I think it means that you are cautious about law suits .... this dive is certainly a disaster in the planning but perhaps someone will come to their senses before it actually happens:idk: let us know how it goes :fear:

I think you have your answer. You don't have to name the DM/instructor on ScubaBoard, but I think you should report them to their training agency. I have to question the level of your friends OW training, as it should have been clear what types of dives / depths he was and was not qualified to do with his level of experience. This dive is not one of them. Another sad story of the quality of some diving instruction today.

I can understand this part .. It's very easy when new to diving to trust your instructor for your safety, and to listen to whatever your instructor tells you over anyone else.
I don't know how you could get through to him that maybe he should not be so trusting, especially this time

... have him read this thread?
A lot of respected, experienced divers here have given you their opinion of this dive

I will not mention any names as you can see by the way i presented this thread as i know who is going to take them there and how many times they have dived the site . the fact remains that even being with very experienced tech divers if you become seperated from their experience and knowledge that you are relying on to keep you safe and you know in the open ocean this is very possible in a 4 -6 knot current what do you think the new diver would do (panic ?).I would think when you start wreck diving you would want to do some of the inshore wrecks in the 50-60 foot range with mild current and great visibility and far more ndl time to work with and gas management issues would be more forgiving if you had small issues with decent considering the new diver will be diving wet at 134', in a 5 mil on a single 80 tank not the best way to start in my inexperienced opinion.Not for me:no:Maybe i am making to much of the situation.

... somehow I had a strong suspicion they were contemplating this dive on an AL80.

That's just plain stupid.

Ignorance is one thing ... recklessness is something else altogether. Even as a fresh-out-of OW diver, your friend should know better. If you can't talk him out of it, well ... like you said ... he's an adult. But I'd recommend you decide not to dive with him ... on this or any other dive. Safe diving is as much about attitude and good judgment as it is about skill ... neither your friend nor his "tech diver" buddy seem to have a very safe attitude.

Darwin usually catches up with folks who think diving is all about "bragging rights" ... :shakehead:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Did the "inexperienced diver" in question annoy the wrong people?

This sounds like the Dive Mafia's equivalent of cement overshoes.

Lynn,

I would not say this person is important to me but i like the diver.For a person to tell me this plan just blows my mind ,that reasoning and common sense are set aside so easily for some reason and it is beyond my nature to not at least say something to sway their actions.I have a feeling this is not going to end well for anybody.I always thought there was a reason that we all crawl,walk, then run and when we fall learning these motor skills we get up and try again .If you fall at 134' in 51 degree water with minimum gas supply with no experience i am pretty sure your not going to get the chance to ever get up again.My hope is that the dive operation there chartered with catch this and put a stop to this accident waiting to happen as the boat crew is one of the better dive operations in n.c.

They are going to be freezing in a 5 mil at 51 degF! Just the shock of the cold alone + narcosis will get them in trouble. +n to all of the comments to discourage this dive. Keep trying...please...

My 14th dive was done in Molokini crater, following a PADI instructor (who was ostensibly teaching our "boat diving" class -- snort) and went to 130 feet, on a single Al80.

BUT -- we had warm water. We had 100 feet of viz. We had no current. All of my gear was mine, and as familiar to me as anything could be after only 14 dives. It was still stupid, from the gas management standpoint, but of course, nobody had taught me any gas management, and I DID get back on the boat with 500 psi.

If I had told someone ahead of time that we were going to do this dive (which, of course, I didn't know until we got there and the instructor briefed it) and that person had told me it was stupid, I would have argued with him, because, after all, an instructor was leading it. It would have taken some specific information, like an introduction to gas management principles, to have convinced me it was a bad idea.

My first(and so far, only, though that's about to change) dive to 134', was my 20th dive, on the deep dive specialty course. 28C(77F) in the water, not much less once we hit the thermocline at around 120-125', great vis above thermocline, about 2-3' vis below it, no current. Group of 8 students and two instructors, and a bottom we could sit on, at 134'. This was a training dive on AL80s.

Where I've been diving I've never seen the need to go deeper than 100' really, or just below, briefly. Then again I'm now getting ready to go work for a dive op that dives the zenobia, so there's reason to go deeper, still, from what I gather there's no currents and crystal clear water(up to 50m/165' vis).

Consider this,you have a new diver who has just certified in ow and going for there aow and ... going to do a dive with strong currents and to a mod of 134'

Let's take a hypoethical case in which everything else in this situation was picture perfect--ideal, balmy conditions, familiar gear, the diver has quite a few dives that went perfectly well after OW--everything is just fine.

If you are describing a PADI AOW training dive, the depth alone is a standards violation and should be reported to the agency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom