would you put a inexperienced diver on this dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There cannot possibly be anything on that wreck worth risking your friend's life for.

Spend some time in the pool, get those ears looked at, work on buoyancy, then find some shallow dives on reefs in the Keys for them to get used to diving in the ocean from a boat.

There are way too many ways even a skilled diver could get hurt on that dive to let a new diver with new gear and buyancy issues loose there.

And there's plenty to see in the top 20' of the ocean.

Consider this,you have a new diver who has just certified in ow and going for there aow and had major trouble in there checkout dives with clearing(nose bleeding,dizziness,ear pain) and some buoyancy control issues. This diver has not made any dives since there checkout dive but are going to do a dive with strong currents and to a mod of 134' in the atlantic with 1/2 of there equipment being new to them with 0 dives on this equipment. Personally i like this diver and would hate to see them get into trouble .I mentioned some of the conditions and possible issues where as they could get separated from the dm and or the instructor (visibility can go away quickly on this wreck site)and be on their own. They have never used or shot a smb and did not know what a finger spool was for etc. Am i wrong for thinking this is to much to soon ?:idk:

I'm wondering why you used the word "mod" here.

(MOD) the depth at which the partial pressure of oxygen (ppO2) of a gas mix exceeds a safe limit.

This diver is certainly not ready for the dive. Also, if I were in your position, I would not go on this dive with him. He is willing to place not only himself in danger but every other diver on the dive.

Mask clearing issues and a depth of 134 do not mix in my opinion. Add current and unfamiliarity with the gear and this thread will get moved to the accidents and incidents forum.

I personally wouldn't make that dive as we speak if there are that many new equipment to me.

However, people will do what they will do. All you can do is advise.

Consider this,you have a new diver who has just certified in ow and going for there aow and had major trouble in there checkout dives with clearing(nose bleeding,dizziness,ear pain) and some buoyancy control issues. This diver has not made any dives since there checkout dive but are going to do a dive with strong currents and to a mod of 134' in the atlantic with 1/2 of there equipment being new to them with 0 dives on this equipment. Personally i like this diver and would hate to see them get into trouble .I mentioned some of the conditions and possible issues where as they could get separated from the dm and or the instructor (visibility can go away quickly on this wreck site)and be on their own. They have never used or shot a smb and did not know what a finger spool was for etc. Am i wrong for thinking this is to much to soon ?:idk:

To much too soon is the least of your problems.

What's happening in line three?

What is the point to your post?

My hope is that the dive operation there chartered with catch this and put a stop to this accident waiting to happen as the boat crew is one of the better dive operations in n.c.

Maybe they will hang a bottle and have someone in the water? I have been to some Croatian Wrecks this way... They always say the bottle is there "just in-case"... Then on ascent you see 4 guys huddled around it passing the reg like addicts.

At 242 dives I still wouldn't make that dive if I had much in the way of unfamiliar equipment...

This is my feeling. I did a sloppy predive on a new rig and missed a loose inflator hose @ the attachment point on wing... That was exciting when it came off in my hand near the end of the dive. Drysuit FTW.

I guess my reason for posting is that it's easy to say "oh, this person has 500-999 dives and thinks I should do 50 boring dives on my BC before I do anything fun"

...here's my 2c in the form of a anecdote:

I have planned to Dive "the Slope" three times now. Its a pillar at 147 feet that celebrates the flooded section of a river basin. Its a relatively easy dive in the sense that its a reservoir and its on a line (not a buoyed descent line but from the river bank, so to max BT you have to guess the approx location and try and drop onto the line otherwise its challenging deco dive). Making it difficult, its near a Dam, so there's an unnerving turbine sound the whole dive, the water is often brakish until you hit the thermocline, its just off a boat ramp so there is significant traffic (have to shoot a bag).

The first time I packed for this trip I had a new harness so we opted for a different dive that day.

The second time I was using a borrowed reg (annual taking forever) that didnt "feel right" so we rerouted the dive at the surfaced. Again no Slope.

The Third time I had a new canister light and a new reg on my stage that I wanted to test before flirting with Deco. So we did a different dive that day.

I have the benefit of an understanding buddy and many local options. Mainly, the diving is fun, not a notch on a belt.

I don't push the limits of a dive if I have too many new variables... this means extra gear (cameras, extra bags, etc) or new gear. I think this is common sense. Rental gear is for 30ft dives in good to moderate conditions.

To sum it up my experience has taught me:

1. New gear must earn trust
2. Focus on the dive planning
3. Bring the right gear
4. Figure out what you are comfortable doing
5. If the answer to "am I ready for this challenge?" is anything other than "yes" come back to the dive later and make some similar dives.

Get some handcuffs, cuff him to a tree on shore. . .ask for forgiveness later. . . AFTER he reads and agrees to what has been side on this thread. Leave him there until he agrees with you. . .and ALL of us, plus, has all of our comments MEMORIZED.

Tough love.

John ,this is not part of the aow training , this diver will be getting his deep specialty on this dive which i thought the limit was 100 feet max for deep cert with padi (i may be wrong) It is just to much to soon IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom