Would you recommend Cozumel to two young adults?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My little brother is turning 21 tomorrow and I've offered him PADI certification courses, which I will be completing with him. Our courses start in two weeks and certification is in late October. I'm turning 25 in December, so we plan to take a trip together either in Mexico or Caribbeans at that time. It'll be our first trip just us brothers, our first diving trip and a lonnnnggg overdue vacation for me.

My uncle is a veteran diver and he suggested we either go to Cozumel (considering Cozumel Palace now) or Turk & Caicos (Club Med), pointing out they were both amazingly beautiful places to go dive. I trust and believe his word 100%, but my brother and I are also looking to have fun at night after the diving is done! I was wondering which destination you'd suggest which has an enjoyable nightlife experience? Any of you guys been to both places and could give us some pointers?

Our budget is about 1500$ each for hotel+plane fare, but would prefer an all-inclusive for that price. We're flying out of Montreal!

Thanks a lot for the help :)

PS. I'm doing a lot of research all around, but it's also appreciated to get up-to-date information directly from the horse's mouth!
I absolutely love Cozumel and have been there many many times. Cozumel, however is really about the day life and not much on night life. If you are looking for big dance clubs that swing until dawn, Cozumel isn't really the place for that. You won't be bored, but you won't be swamped with choices, either.

But if you are going for the diving remember this: Dehydration is a major contributor to DCS, and a hangover is in large part residual dehydration from the effects of alcohol. Diving hung over is very risky, so I'd advise you to conduct yourselves accordingly.

Everyone else pretty much nailed it. You can do air/ Hotel Cozumel all inclusive for around $2200, well within budget. For that price, the AI's worth it just for breakfast and lunch. Plus, you can meet/ talk with all the other divers in the hotel then take a leisurely walk into town, then later taxi it back ($6 I think). That should leave plenty for diving and hiring a DM. The board can give advice on that tho as I dive w Dive Paradise, the on site operator and have no experience with inexperienced diver referrals.
One thing not mentioned (or I missed) was that when I did the Turks, it seemed that all of the dives were a bit deeper.
Bring a bunch of singles $$ and don't forget to tip!

Sparky, I wonder if the op you used chose sites that may not have been appropriate for beginners? I'm not discrediting your experience, but it is not the same for every new diver. I was certified in Cozumel, and never had any issues with the currents as a new diver. I loved them. I got so used to drift diving that my next trip (to the Bahamas) I dropped into the water and just sat there waiting for the current to move me...d'oh, forgot I had to kick to move! :D Cozumel can be a great place for new divers, and hiring a private DM for your first dives is a good idea, as well as making sure your dive op knows your experience level so they can choose sites that are appropriate.

Neither my son nor I enjoyed the drift diving as much as the laid back diving we experienced at Mahahual or Roatan. I know lots of people rave about Cozumel, but my son and I just didn't care for it. Our opinion will probably be in the minority, but it's just how we felt about it. By the way, we dove with Edgar from Aldora. We dove Santa Rosa and Dalila. We don't have any complaints at all about the dive op or instructor, just didn't care for the current associated with drift diving.

As far as hiring a DM for the first few dives, I must be misunderstanding something. No one is advocating going alone after their first couple of dives are they? Because that's how I read it the first time. I could agree if you are saying that after a couple of dives then they could go with a group that is led by an instuctor/DM.

As far as hiring a DM for the first few dives, I must be misunderstanding something. No one is advocating going alone after their first couple of dives are they? Because that's how I read it the first time. I could agree if you are saying that after a couple of dives then they could go with a group that is led by an instuctor/DM.

No, nobody is advocating going it alone after the first few dives. All dives within the marine park in Coz are required to be led by a DM so going it alone isn't an option.

I agree with most of what has been said in the previous posts.
Regarding diving, Cozumel is incredibly awesome (beautiful reefs and marine life, lots of different sites) and has great infrastructures (many good dive ops, regulated industry and marine park, chambers and medical facilities in case you need it), but it is not the easiest for brand new divers (currents, depth of some sites…)
As mentionned, a private DM (at least the first few dives) is a must if you haven't been trained in this type of environment, and make sure to specify to your prospective dive op that you are just certified and want to stay shallow.
A private DM should cost around USD50/day on top of the trip cost.
Dive insurance such as DAN is also a must. I had an unexplained DCS2 hit almost two years ago (no reason to freak out about it, those are extremely rare, but they do occur), the two chamber rides amounted USD9000. So glad I had insurance !

Diving and partying do not mix well (read ggunn's post above), even though I've seen many people doing it.
Regarding partying, Cozumel is pretty laid back. You'll find plenty of bars, whether local or Carlos & Charlie type, if you just want to enjoy a few drinks. There's good live music, especially on the week-ends, at several places (rock covers, salsa…) and a few discos.
If you're looking for a springbreak type of ambiance, though, or for an international backpacker kind of vibe, and expecting to meet with lots of travelling open minded young ladies :wink:, Cozumel will disappoint you.

IMO, the diving in Isla Mujeres is not half as good as Cozumel (and the infrastructure is not super reliable), but the atmosphere might be more enticing for two young guys. Lots of partying there.
Playa del Carmen, on the mainland just across from Cozumel, is another option. I never dove there, so can't comment on that, but the beaches and partying are reknowned.

Think about what your priorities are (diving or partying) and then plan accordingly. You could also split your vacation (5 days of straight diving and relaxing in Cozumel, then 2 days of partying in Playa or Isla Mujeres or Cancun, for example).

Lots of different choices everywhere regarding accommodations, from cheap local hotels to luxurious beach resorts. Again, depends on what you're looking for. Considering I prefer staying outdoors and am low maintenance as far as accommodations are concerned, I personally prefer to rent a very cheap place in town and spend the money on eating out and renting a vehicule to go to different beaches/spots of interest everyday. But to each their own.

A guide (DM or instructor) is required for all dives in the Marine Park and can only take 8 divers max. This guide is included in the total cost of the trip (tips are extra, not mandatory but very welcome).
Depending on the dive op and how many customers and boats they have, sometimes you'll have one guide with divers of different levels. If one wants the personnal, undivided attention of a dive professionnal, then they hire a "private DM". Meaning you don't share a guide with other customers, that private DM will only lead you (or in the OP's case, him and his brother). That costs extra (USD50) but is a great way to get comfortable in a new environment.
Of course, occasionnally, you might end up being the only party on the boat… hence having a private DM without having to pay for one, which seems to have been the case for you with Edgar at Aldora (off topic : dove with him several times, great guy and diver).

Was your Cozumel experience just one day off of a cruise ship??
Neither my son nor I enjoyed the drift diving as much as the laid back diving we experienced at Mahahual or Roatan. I know lots of people rave about Cozumel, but my son and I just didn't care for it. Our opinion will probably be in the minority, but it's just how we felt about it. By the way, we dove with Edgar from Aldora. We dove Santa Rosa and Dalila. We don't have any complaints at all about the dive op or instructor, just didn't care for the current associated with drift diving.

Open minded ladies are always a plus to any destinations, but my brother and I agreed on a code before we even booked: bros before hoes, dive before lay :D (or something like that)

My personnal budget is actually 3000$ and considering I take a real vacation only once every 5 years or so, Im not afraid to pay extras for little comfort and pleasure. My brother is a little more restrained, but since this will be oue first trip I planned in treating him well.

50USD per day is cheap, is there a disvantange to booking a private DM every day if you can afford it? Only downside I can see is you dont get to meet other people when in groups. Perhaps there are group boats that allow you to bring your private dm with you, buf that serve lunch and you get to meddle a little? That would bring the best of both worlds.

Thanks a lot for the insurance tips, 40$ a year is cheap for the peace of mind, will definitely get it from DAN.

As for priorities, though Ive already touched on the subject, we are not party animals but we dont want to go to bed at 7h00 every night either because we are bored to death and theres nothing for us to do. Simply put, anywhere witn a semblance of a SAFE nightlife (Id really hate to wake up the next morning in an alley somewhere with a missing kidney, thoug I hear Cozumel is very safe) will do. We're very responsible and arent looking for a spring break kind of ambiance with wet tshirt contests... But were not the cabaret type either... Its a little convoluted I know :wink:

Ive found packages for Cozumel Palace for 1538$ all taxes in per person. My brother is low maintenance but I enjoy my luxuries... That being said, I simply need a comfortable bed with clean sheets and bathroom. From all Ive read I hear there are many great restaurants that offer better food than anything youll find in any hotels so going out in town for dinners sounds like something Id love to do!

I cant thank you all enough for pitching in! Im now doubly excited for this trip alrdy, I really appreciate it! :)

PS. I read Aldora had its own compound. Anyone stayed there?

A guide (DM or instructor) is required for all dives in the Marine Park and can only take 8 divers max. This guide is included in the total cost of the trip (tips are extra, not mandatory but very welcome).
Depending on the dive op and how many customers and boats they have, sometimes you'll have one guide with divers of different levels. If one wants the personnal, undivided attention of a dive professionnal, then they hire a "private DM". Meaning you don't share a guide with other customers, that private DM will only lead you (or in the OP's case, him and his brother). That costs extra (USD50) but is a great way to get comfortable in a new environment.
Of course, occasionnally, you might end up being the only party on the boat… hence having a private DM without having to pay for one, which seems to have been the case for you with Edgar at Aldora (off topic : dove with him several times, great guy and diver).

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but yeah, Edgar does seem like a great guy. We really enjoyed getting to know him. He made us feel welcome in his playground.

What a nice thing you are doing for your brother and I hope you have many more trips together. I love going places with my brothers and sisters (well, at least the saner ones :D ) and co-own a home in Cozumel with my brother. I'm not a big AI fan and would second Annlaur's suggestion of budget accommodations in town. Hotel Pepita is a small, locally owned hotel smack in downtown and last I heard was about $30/night. That gets you 2 beds, a TV and a small refrigerator. No pool but there's a communal area where folks hang out and trade lies. There is lots of free, outdoor entertainment in the square around the corner or else in front of the Palacio a couple of blocks away. Restaurants everywhere from budget taquerias (which I just love) to upscale dining. The only downside (if you can call it that) is that unless you take a cab daily to the caleta (boat harbour), you will be limited to dive ops that pick up in town. No worries as there are lots of good ops that do. I recommended this place to a younger fellow I used to work with (he was taking a solo dive vacation) and he said it was one of the most enjoyable holidays he had ever had.

I would also second ggunn's comment about alcohol and dehydration. As brand spankin' new divers, you will need to have all of your wits about you so go easy on the nightlife when you are diving the next day. You might look into a day/night over in Playa del Carmen. My niece and nephew went there one evening (might have been New Year's, I can't recall) to a night club called Coco Bongo and said they had never seen anything like it or had more fun. They partied until 3 or 4 a.m. and then caught the first ferry back, sleeping the better part of the day.

I've never been to Turks and Caicos but I believe you will get better value for your money in Cozumel. Air Canada has a sale on right now but it ends today!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom