Wounded Warrior

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
By Tommy Smedley – August 19, 2008
Generations who have fought for the freedoms we enjoy realize that there are victories and defeats but in a war no one ever really wins. Some keep fighting long after they return and some leave a part of themselves on the battlefield. For the first time in our history as many moms as dads return to civilian life with disabling injuries and the government finally acknowledges that all injuries are not physical.

War is hard on everyone. Families, especially children, left at home are exceptionally vulnerable. Since 2004 the National Military Families Association (NMFA) enjoys outstanding success with “Operation Purple” camps that enable children of military families to cope with stresses that come when dad or mom deploys.

The hardest times are when bread-winners return with debilitating or disfiguring injuries. Recovery and rehabilitation affects the entire family and it’s difficult to go it alone. A cancer survivor told me that when you are down and out the best thing is surrounding yourself with friends to share your sorrow and pull you through. The NMFA serves as a support group, bringing Wounded Warriors and their families in touch with others who share the same challenges.

In a pilot program the NMFA contracted Outer Edge Performance (OEP) of Edgewater, Colorado to strengthen the entire family. They chose beautiful Camp ASCCA on Lake Martin, Alabama to bring more than fifteen military families together for a week of intense teambuilding therapy. Folks came from Puerto Rico to New York and from North Carolina to Texas. They brought a winning attitude and formed a solid extended peer-group. The expertise of OEP and the facilities and staff at ASCCA provided an outstanding experience in what is already described as a resounding success.

Horseback riding, boating, water skiing, rock climbing, rope swinging, counseling and other stuff filled their days with adventure. Somewhere in the middle we were honored to help them try scuba. With artificial limbs, crutches, and wheelchairs littering the deck the warriors realized that, with the luxury of neutral buoyancy, their disabilities suddenly didn’t hinder movement. Pain of weight-bearing or lack of balance disappeared and they moved with ease. The camp staff found themselves having to coax folks from the water to eat lunch.

Dana served in both the Navy and the Army. He lost his left eye and went through reconstructive surgery. The man with the plastic eye shared the scuba experience with his son Derek. Dana came back when Joana had trouble adjusting. She was about to give up when he urged her forward and within a few minutes she scooted around the pool like a pro. Dana’s attitude and spirit exemplified the teamwork and the willingness to help a neighbor that this program hoped to achieve.

Joana’s husband Kofi had never been in a swimming pool. It took a few minutes but he overcame the fear of water and found that the weightlessness of scuba was the best therapy he could imagine. He rejoiced and proclaimed that his scuba experience gave him more self-confidence in one hour than he realized over two-years in a rehab program.

Kofi was a combat medic and as he treated an injured soldier he felt a hot blast. The next thing he remembers is awakening at Landstuhl Hospital in Germany with his wife and son at his side. With his right leg gone below the knee and his left leg disfigured, Kofi faces either living with pain or having them take his other leg. With his newly found team covering his back, Kofi water skied. He has a heavy decision to make and I’m sure he’ll get the support he needs.

In a horrific blast Ireshekia lost her left leg at the knee. Her right shoulder and back bore the scars of painful injuries. Her husband David beamed with pride as she glided effortlessly beneath the surface.

The list goes on and on and I very near lost it when they saluted me. They each offered their thanks for the chance to try scuba and escape, if for only a moment, the bonds of gravity. My comment to them was, “Thank you! For what you have done for me, for what you have done for your nation!”

And I salute you - each and every one of you - for what you have given up to protect the lifestyle that I so enjoy. It’s my humble chance to give something back.

Tom,
This is incredible! Are there plans to do this again? Do you need any volunteers?

Shirley

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom