Wreck diving and the USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grits61

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on my wreck diving speciality and will be diving the USS Oriskany next Saturday. I'm pretty excited about diving the Mighty "O". Anyone out there dove her yet? If so, what can I expect?

Ron

I'll be on her a day before you. Sorry, not much help.

I've been told that its HUGE. there should be arrows on the super structure that point to or from the bow, I cant remember which. The dive boat will probably tie off to the control tower at around 70', there are no mooring bouys because she rest in the channel of a shippouing lane. Was also told that with about 60' viz. and being in the center of the superstructure, one cannot see the edges from side to side. Enjoy, hope to dive it one day myself, hope the hear say info is correct. I got it from an instructor whom dove it not to long ago.

She is massive! I dove her in june and will be back mid aug. You will recive a complete breifing pre dive so pay attention.
The flight deck is 137' fsw , vis was 100 + ft but you can't see the deck from the top of the island. Life was already abundent in june and with all there is to see it,s just mind blowing.
I could go on and on but you'll probally see all you need @ MBTDIVERS.COM
and @ PENSACOLANEWSJOURNAL.COM go to video
One other thing BE READY TO HAVE THE DIVE OF YOU LIFE!!!!!!

how much penetration is possible on the superstructure

I dove the "Mighty O" last week! It is, without a doubt, the most awesome dive I have ever had! The water was as clear as the Bahamas, and there is already a lot of fish on her already.
I went on a local charterboat called Y-knot. The boat & captain are top-notch! We were the first ones out there and made 2 dives on Oriskany. We were back at the dock for lunch. Go to the website www.bluwateradventures.com to see some cool photos!!
Rod

Pensacola Dive Company. Never used them before. Don't know much about them either.

PerroneFord:
Pensacola Dive Company. Never used them before. Don't know much about them either.
Never heard of 'em. I'm going with Gary's over in Orange Beach AL. (got the last spot too)

Back
Top Bottom