Wreck diving and the USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oriskany Divemaster:
I don't know. We sent a guy to check, but he hasn't made it back yet.

(kidding)
Hmm. I went about 10 feet in and noticed that it curved off as far as the eye could see, so I decided to save it for the first dive next time.

I'll let you know where it goes. :D

Oriskany Divemaster:
Let me know when you need another tank. I'll drop one down.
Okay, I'll call you on my cell when I'm ready for it. (Good point...that's deep down there :no )

O. Divemaster, you mentioned that there's plenty to see even if I'm only Adv.
I had read about the O and assumed that it was for Tec. divers only.

Thanks Jamie McG.

Went for my second and third trip week-end before last [aug 19-20] was on h20 below again and as before Capt. Doug and crew made for a very enjoyable trip! Did I mention the grilled hot dogs with all the fixins on the return trip? Anyway, both days were PERFECT, seas were glass for real ,vis was over 100' !! The flight deck was visable from the top of the island .
First dive sat. to the flight deck south end of the island,entered the first opening starbord side nothing to see so begain my accent through the island but was back outside after going around and up to the port side finished the dive looking at shallower entries for dive 2 ,chose to visit the pri-fri and explore the port side,just wore the shorty this time and wondered if it was'nt to much ,bath tub warm water shorts and a tee-shirt would have worked but jellies were visibale.
Sunday , same conditions , first dive over the pri-fri and down to the deck , first opening on my right ducked in and low and behold it's the top of the esculator shaft took a peek down ,man talk about wanting to do something you just can't ! Back out on the flight deck I accended up the island to an opening I thought to lead me to the pri-fri and it did after working through the corridor, entering the pri -fri the same as the sailors did was un-real!
Last dive we planned to go south through the same opening but my buddies computer went haywire @ 85' and despite his protest I thumbed the dive.
It's one hell of a fun dive this U.S.S. ORISKANY but without a doubt watch your computer,at all times !

JAMIE MCG:
O. Divemaster, you mentioned that there's plenty to see even if I'm only Adv.
I had read about the O and assumed that it was for Tec. divers only.

Thanks Jamie McG.

Hi, Jamie,

I just came across you posting. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

The Oriskany is perfect for AOW. Although it sits in 212 feet, the top of the structure comes up to 70 feet, and the flight deck is at 135 (just outside the recommended limits of recreational divers.) Most of my clients are OW or AOW.

There is so much to see above 120 feet. I seldom even go below 118. It's a gorgeous wreck. Let me know if you want to dive it.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need addtional information.

Thanks.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom