Wreck Diving Jobs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost_At_Sea

Contributor
Reaction score
I am kind of new to anything about wrecks and the field of wreck diving. Are there any well paying jobs in the field of wreck diving? If so, what kind of certification would I need and what kind of education (college education) would I need if any? Thanks alot yall.

Commercial salvage operations?

I think it basically splits into new wrecks (salvage) or old wrecks (historical/arqueological).
Salvage - you'd have to follow a commercial diver type training.
Old wrecks - the diving is just a spin-off to the main activity.

The only other way to get paid for diving wrecks would be to work as a DM/Instructor/Dive leader at some location where there are a lot of wrecks.

miketsp:
I think it basically splits into new wrecks (salvage) or old wrecks (historical/arqueological).
Salvage - you'd have to follow a commercial diver type training.
Old wrecks - the diving is just a spin-off to the main activity.

The only other way to get paid for diving wrecks would be to work as a DM/Instructor/Dive leader at some location where there are a lot of wrecks.

Done the latter and leading most poeple through a wreck has been far more nerve racking than fun!

I do have a degree in Archaeology though (measly undergradute degree however) so maybe there's still some hope for me. :dazzler1:

Salvage isn't much fun so concentrate on the other angle... marine archeology. Then get a job with NOAA!

On the other hand, I have a handful of friends who "earn a living" diving wrecks. Most write books and magazine articles about their adventures. One actually publishes a magazine and leads expeditions to exotic spots.

You can also earn a living teaching people to dive wrecks... it's a tough way to put bread on the table but given the right approach, it's fun.

You're right Steve, teaching anything is a pretty hard way to put bread on the table!

I've also met some commercial salvage guys and some of their stories give me nightmares! Things like new wrecks moving around as they settle while the divers are still inside #shudder#.

The marine archaeology is something I'll definately keep in mind for the future.

Some wreck diving jobs are taken by goverment org. And many of them by police of army divers. some wreck diving is extremely dangerous, and that's why goverment preffers to use clearing divers for this kind of jobs.

Thanks ya'll! I really appreciate all the input! I will check on the marine archeology.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom