Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got into diving to dive the Great Lakes, Scapa, Truk, etc. I just happen to live in N.FL. When I get my gear and skills sorted out, I'll be on the Lakes.

We have a trip scheduled for August to Lake Erie with Osprey Charters. Got new drysuits on order & should be here anytime now.
I live in Va. Beach so Im used to 10-15 ft vis & water temps in the lower 50s (not to mention a good current most of the times)except our wrecks are not that well preserved so I cant wait.

Rad Diver, which wrecks are u planning on getting on in Erie on that trip? And what part of the lake is that in?

We have lined up 4 wrecks, Trade Wind, Crystal on Sat. afternoon, then do the John Boland & Dean Richmond on Sun. morning.
Not sure on actual locations, depending on the Charter Op to get us there.

I think Great Lakes diving is awesome I have only been snorkeling in the Caribbean (which was pretty cool too). The Thunder bay Underwater Preserve in Alpena has really good visibility (I could see about 2/3 the length of a 300 ft long wreck) and the temp is pretty good (64 deg F at 64 Feet). There are a lot of pretty decent inland lakes also and I swear they all have a boat or two sunk in htem for diving.

Nice, the Tradewind and Crystal are in my backyard. Where does that charter op sail out of?

I have always wanted to dive in the Great Lakes, and hopefully I will. I admit though, that being farther away, and soooo many choices, the area is so large, etc. that I almost don't know where to start planning a trip.

Well there is good diving in all the lakes. The best thing would be pick a city that is easy for you to get to and stay, and see what is in that area. You can find good diving just about everywhere in the Great Lakes.

I think as most have stated, the cold water would be a huge limiting factor. When we go south we ditch a lot of gear, its, like diving naked, however, if people from the south came north it would require a fairly large investment to upgrade their gear just to do the dives. On top of this would be a lack of cold water skills. I have seen divers down south on their once a year dive vacation, that you are suprised made it out of the water alive, they would not up north. I hear where your coming from though, I haven't dove the Great Lakes yet , but have dove in the St. Lawrence and it was great. Lots of cold East cost diving, some of us don't stop for winter. Lets just keep the great diving to ourselves, as long as there's enough to keep the charters going.

The Great Lakes is the main reason why I am getting certified. There is so much history down in them. Yeah there isnt the "pretty" fish, but after looking at them I get bored. I want adventure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom