Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

disableddiver

Registered
Reaction score
Originally from Minnesota and going to school in T
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I am a very new diver i just recieved my OW certification in november from NAUI and I was wondering if there were any disabled divers or people who knew disabled divers who have gotten a regular wreck diving certification without HSA provisions and also kind of a side note if there was a way to go right from advanced certification to wreck divng?

disableddiver:
I was wondering if there were any disabled divers or people who knew disabled divers who have gotten a regular wreck diving certification without HSA provisions

Are you just curious or are you wondering if it's something you can do? If it's a personal goal, that depends on two things, exactly what abilities you do have and the type of wreck course. Many wreck diving courses are simply swimming around outside a wreck. I don't understand the purpose of such a course, but they are there.

disableddiver:
also kind of a side note if there was a way to go right from advanced certification to wreck divng?

Get some experience diving. Don't even consider wrecks (penetration) until you have 100 - 200 dives logged.

As Walter has said, Wreck diving with Penetration or Cave Diving (I know you did not ask but they are similar and might as well cover both) is a specialty course you should not be taking until you are very comfortable with your skills and have logged a number of dives in a variety of conditions. Most wrecks will be at deep depths, many beyond the normal limits of recreational diving. IMHO 100-200 or more dives would be highly recommended before going to Wreck or Cave Diving. Wreck Diving, or Cave Diving both require spot on buoyancy skills, and a total mastery of basic and advance SCUBA skills along with special training and equipment.

As Walter has also stated the answer depends on your abilities. Wreck and Cave Diving are both very advance types of diving presenting their own special challenges and requiring special techniques and equipment. Silting out of the wreck or caves is a hazard that all Wreck or Cave divers face. If the silt on the wreck interior gets disturbed visibility often goes to zero (from what I read) which could make finding your way out challenging. To avoid this Wreck and Cave divers learn special finning techniques to avoid even the thrust off their fin tips from disturbing the silt. If mobility of the lower limbs is an issue then this will present a challenge. Both environments are also noted for limited maneuver space which would present a challenge if the diver depends on their arms to swim.

Is it possible for you to get a Wreck Certification? That depends on the individual diver and their abilities and skills.

If you think so, then it probably will be so. Dive often and dive safely, take time to grow your ability and confidence and then find a quality instructor to teach you and a quality dive partner superior skills and training to dive with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom