Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since we are showing off our pictures, here are some from Thunder Bay (Alpena, Michigan)

IF YOU EVER DOVE THE GRECIAN, THIS IS HER SISTER SHIP.
NOAA_Norman_stern_small.jpg

KYLE SPANGLER 180', Masts at about 105'
BH - Spangler2small.jpg

ONE OF MY FAVORITES. Deck at 145'
NOAAaudubonSmall.jpg

Sorry for the LARGE images.
Will try and dumb them down

Ok.. Out of ignorance and laziness... What ship up in Thunder Bay is the sister ship to the Grecian? I know I could look it up... But its that laziness thing.

2 years ago a group of us dove the Grecain. I thought that was an awesome wreck as well.

In thinking about the OP's question... I think it can be answered very simply... Whatever wreck you can easily go out and dive in the Great Lakes should be a favorite! :D

I think my most memorable dive would have to be the one during which, bill Prince, Phil Patz and I found the name board and thus were able to positively identify the wreck of the scow, Tennie and Laura.

My favorite wreck to dive is the freighter, S. S. Wisconsin. After hundreds of dives on this wreck I am still only just beginning to explore her.

Only been in Erie so far. But the most memorable was on my Helitrox course "graduation dive". The St James avg depth 155ft, 20 min BT, and clear enough to not need a light to navigate the wreck. Used one for fine details but there was enough ambient light to pick out big stuff.

The GRECIAN was one of six sister ships. All but one were lost, the SAXON which was sold and renamed the ANNE JENSEN. The BRITION wrecked on Point Abino in Lake Erie during 1929, the GERMAN (renamed YANKEE) sunk in collision off Fire Island, New York in 1919, the NORMAN lost 20 miles north off Presque Isle in Lake Huron following a collision in 1895, and the ROMAN (renamed LIBERTAS) foundering east of Sandy Hook, New Jersey in 1919.
TBNMS 2004-4.JPG

Last edited:
We are so fortunate to live in an are where we are surrounded by world class shipwrecks. Nothing like it anywhere else. My favorites to date are:
1. Carl D Bradley (Michigan)
2. Gunilda (Superior)
3. Kamloops (Superior)
4. Judge Hart (Superior)
5. Windiate (Huron)
6. SS Michigan (Michigan)
7. Norman (Huron)

Since the Norman hit your favorite's list...
Norman Mosaic Complete-1.jpg

Love that photo. Any way to get a copy for framing?
I would also add to my list -
8. Florida (Huron)
9. Vernon (Michigan)

Great Pics ComputerJoe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom