Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pretty hard to pick which of the wrecks would be my favorite because they all are interesting. So if I had to pick a favorite it would be the one I was diving at that time:D.

And to help us get through this winter I added some pictures from one of the dives we did on the Eber Ward up in the Straits of Mackinaw.

Attachments

• Eber Ward 4.jpg
    Eber Ward 4.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 135
  • Eber Ward 23.jpg
    Eber Ward 23.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 168
  • Eber Ward 6.jpg
    Eber Ward 6.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Eber Ward 17.jpg
    Eber Ward 17.jpg
    387.8 KB · Views: 259
It is really hard to pick just one dive site as my favorite. Each Great Lakes wreck site is unique in itself. The thing that intrigues me the most about shipwreck diving in the Great Lakes is the history. Each one of these wrecks have a great story behind them. Being a diver and being able to witness and touch these historic capsules is truely amazing.

If I had to pick a wreck, for me it would be the Regina in the Sanilac Shores Preserve. Its not the most picturesque wreck, but the history is amazing. Being one of the ships lost in the Great Storm of 1913, it has lots of lore behind it. Also since this wreck sits in less than 100' of water, it is accessible to almost all levels of divers and has many features that can be enjoyed by everyone. As well, since it is easily in rec diving limits, a diver can have a significant amount of bottom time exploring without having to take on any deco obligations. Since the ship is sitting turtle, the propeller is an amazing site to see as you descend to the wreck. The nameplate on the stern and the bow are just amazing to view. The debris field scattered out from the wreck is a great place to poke around and see artifacts from a time gone by. For the technical diver, the ship is amazing on the inside. The engine room has so many features to explore. A technical diver can spend an entire dive poking around the cargo holds viewing the general cargo the ship was carrying.

I also feel this is a great wreck because it is so easy to get out on a charter and dive it. Out of Port Sanilac, MI there are multiple charter boats going out EVERY WEEKEND to the dive sites. If you wanna dive, a charter boat is going. This past dive season was amazing for lake Huron. I think I was only blown out 2 times all season. Most of the weekend dives, the lake was completely calm!

Anyway... Enough of my rant... Hope it helps you!

Loads of wrecks in such a small area!

Any of the ones of Presque Isle for wood wrecks. The Florida, Windiate, Typo, etc. Ships wheel, bell, standing mast with cross arms, etc.

or the Monrovia for a Steely.

You have to see them to understand why. Photos don't do them justice.

Thunder Bay Scuba

I dove the Port Sanilac preserve last year and it was awesome. It was better than some ocean dives I've done and only a six hour drive from Cincinnati to boot.

I have dove several sites myself in the south basin of Lake Michigan. Each wreck is unique and the story behind each ship is fascinating. This year will be my third annual trip to Lake Michigan. Last year we snuck in a couple of nice dives before we got blown off the lake. I would like to dive the Wisconsin this year. There is definitely something addicting to diving these authentic and historic wrecks. It has come to the point where I would pass on diving the Florida Keys for these awesome wrecks. Since my first trip up there I can not stop thinking about the next trip back. Like BoneCrusher stated, it's the history and being able to view it firsthand.

The Cedarville in the straits. I am dying to go back and dive some more on that wreck.

Pelagic, here's some pic's from the Cedarville to wet you appetite. The viz wasn't too good that day.

Attachments

• Cedarville 5.jpg
    Cedarville 5.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Cedarville 8.jpg
    Cedarville 8.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Cedarville 21.jpg
    Cedarville 21.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 104
  • Cedarville 24.jpg
    Cedarville 24.jpg